Zeovit

Paul, have you hopped over to the Zeovit.com forum? Seems to me there are lots of folks over tehre using needle wheel skimmers with good results.

May be different if you are aggressively skimming...? dunno

Paul, have you hopped over to the Zeovit.com forum? Seems to me there are lots of folks over tehre using needle wheel skimmers with good results.

May be different if you are aggressively skimming...? dunno

I'll go back over there since no one wants to answer me here. :mad: :p

I'm not sure who it was, but it was over a year ago. One of the members at Zeovit told me that a BK was a bad idea and that a KZ or ATB cone skimmer would be better suited.

well said

Paul,oversized needle wheel skimmers like BK are no good since KZ brought out their cone skimmer,thats all.
And if someone is trying to tell you that a $2k KZ skimmer that needs modifying to work out of the box is better than something else they need their head examining.

well said

Paul,oversized needle wheel skimmers like BK are no good since KZ brought out their cone skimmer,thats all.
And if someone is trying to tell you that a $2k KZ skimmer that needs modifying to work out of the box is better than something else they need their head examining.

I actually do remember who told me that. He's a well respected member there too. But I won't say his name. :)

yeah, i looked at the KZ skimmers because some on the zeovit forums was recommending them... they look like they'd skim decent (i sure hope they would for that amount of money) but can't imagine why people would recommend them over a BK or something like that.

well said

But is it true? Is an oversized needle wheel going to strip too much, especially the additives, out of the water?

I'm also wondering about starting up my system from the beginnning using Zeovit. I was planning on having a refugium, etc. in my sump but I'm wondering if I should start up with a Zeovit reactor and additives? 120 gallon tank with 50 gallon sump.

But is it true? Is an oversized needle wheel going to strip too much, especially the additives, out of the water?

Straight out of the manual, they sound very certain about that point :rolleyes:
We would like to point out that "it is our thought" that needle wheels "may" precipitate certain elements and destroy plankton

A few people on the Site run the oversized needle wheel skimers with Zeovit and have no problems. High ALK is a much larger issue to worry about.

Straight out of the manual, they sound very certain about that point :rolleyes:

A few people on the Site run the oversized needle wheel skimers with Zeovit and have no problems. High ALK is a much larger issue to worry about.

agreed. It's RECOMMENDED to have an very efficient skimmer with the zeovit system, i think they are just saying that to market their skimmer (the Revolution).

I would not worry about your BK skimmer being to much, the better the skimmer, the better the Zeovit system will work...

I know zeovit is legit, but i think they do a fair deal of BS marketing (like saying that a high powered NW skimmer will pull too much out of the water.

I'm also wondering about starting up my system from the beginnning using Zeovit. I was planning on having a refugium, etc. in my sump but I'm wondering if I should start up with a Zeovit reactor and additives? 120 gallon tank with 50 gallon sump.

So many people are having varying degrees of success with it. Strange though, you rarely hear people say that it sucks or that it's a complete waste of money. At least I haven't read anything overly negative about Zeo other than the start-up and monthly costs. It sounds like a great route to take with some key benefits. I like this response:

CaptainAndy said:
Interesting response. Haven't heard many complain about bright and vivid coloration though.

I don't know. I thought that was funny. :D

Liam said:
probably hahnmeister or whatever his damn name is

NOPE. He's the "Billy The Kid," T5 reflector shoot-out guy. This person is a lot less brash and opinionated.

No Liam, not you. :p

delta said:
Straight out of the manual, they sound very certain about that point

Quote:
We would like to point out that "it is our thought" that needle wheels "may" precipitate certain elements and destroy plankton

A few people on the Site run the oversized needle wheel skimers with Zeovit and have no problems. High ALK is a much larger issue to worry about

What do I know. I recently found out that the KZ Revolution and the Zeovit line are by the same company. :D But yeah, having high ALK and running through their products for nothing is a concern. I'm also concerned about the potential for ammonia and nitrite poisoning, as Dragon2115 questioned earlier, if the Zeo bacteria were to crash. But then Liam said that people have stopped dosing while away from their tanks for a couple weeks with no adverse affects. So I guess I'm concerned for nothing.

Joel A said:
agreed. It's RECOMMENDED to have an very efficient skimmer with the zeovit system, i think they are just saying that to market their skimmer (the Revolution).

I would not worry about your BK skimmer being to much, the better the skimmer, the better the Zeovit system will work...

I know zeovit is legit, but i think they do a fair deal of BS marketing (like saying that a high powered NW skimmer will pull too much out of the water.

Thanks Joel. Of course I want the Zeovit system to work. But I wouldn't mind super clean water from efficient skimming either. <chuckle>

stevenp said:
Or saying that only their carbon and salt is OK to use

Those guys are good! After reading a little bit about Zeovit tonight, I've been walking around all night with an unexplainable, silly mantra in my head.

"Rrrrevolution iz gude. Rrrreefer's Best Salt iz my f-f-friend. Colonel Klink iz not a K-k-klown."

:confused:

Is it too risky to use NSW with the ZEOvit system?

IMO the seawater around here is too high in nutrients,too low in calcium,inconsistent (unless you are collecting offshore) and full of all kinds on microscopic unwanteds to use if you are striving for a low nutrient system

Back