Zoanthid poison is no laughing matter

Why would he boil his rock anyway, there is a clam attatched to it any ways and it needs salt water to survive.

Why would he boil his rock anyway, there is a clam attatched to it any ways and it needs salt water to survive.

Pretty sure that wasn't the actual rock.

I've got poisoned twice by palytoxin. First time, it flew into my mouth and I was slightly nauseated for a few hours with a screaming headache and a pungent metallic taste in my mouth. Second time it went under my safety glasses and into my eye. Lost some vision in the first minutes followed by extreme nausea and projectile vomiting for the next 4-5 hours. Cold sweats and pounding headache all night.

Funny thing is that I called poison control to see what treatment was and the woman told me there was no palytoxin in their database so it didn't exist.

Pretty sure that wasn't the actual rock.

I've got poisoned twice by palytoxin. First time, it flew into my mouth and I was slightly nauseated for a few hours with a screaming headache and a pungent metallic taste in my mouth. Second time it went under my safety glasses and into my eye. Lost some vision in the first minutes followed by extreme nausea and projectile vomiting for the next 4-5 hours. Cold sweats and pounding headache all night.

Funny thing is that I called poison control to see what treatment was and the woman told me there was no palytoxin in their database so it didn't exist.

You should have tried getting help 23 years ago they came up with possible drug overdose as a diagnosis.And three days later they all had copies of my notebooks and could not thank me enough

Like you it was 15-20 years ago.

The sad part is they still are lacking in the information department.If you don't keep good notebooks you should at the very least have a well informed emergency contact person that maybe able to shed some light on the situation.

Hmmm so I shouldn't be rubbing my eyes n licking my fingers while fragging???
Just kidding of course.
Never heard of it becoming airborn like that before though. Good info.

The sad part is they still are lacking in the information department.If you don't keep good notebooks you should at the very least have a well informed emergency contact person that maybe able to shed some light on the situation.
Yes I explained it to my wife that if I all of a sudden get sick and look like I am going to die while working on my tank to get me to a hospital and tell them its palytoxins.And my brother is a reefer to.

So, you can't pull them off because they squirt toxins into the tank or in your face. You can't boil them off because it becomes airborn. How the heck do you get rid of unwanted palys in the tank? I have two big colonies I would like to get rid of, and I was thinking of boiling the rock until I read the above article.

You could boil it just do it outside on the grill and don't breath in the steam. Some people say you can cover them in kalk paste never tried it though.

Last edited:
Wear eye protection, don't boil.

Kill with kalk paste, or peel off outside of the tank.

No open wounds, no exposed eyes.

I tried kalk paste, but they just close up for a day or two and then open up bigger than ever. I've been pulling them off with long tweezers, but since some of the rocks are totally covered, I was looking for a quicker method. They always squirt slime and smell really bad when you pull them off too. After reading this thread, I'm almost afraid to pull any more off. Since I can easily remove some of the rocks, I might try the grill idea. I think they are just common brown palys. They are copper colored and about the size of a dime with long lashes. Pretty, but there are just too many of them now.

I have an idea. Why not just take the rock and put it in fresh water? They won't be able to survive without salt.

Trade the rock with another reefer. one mans trash is another mans treasure...
I tried kalk paste, but they just close up for a day or two and then open up bigger than ever. I've been pulling them off with long tweezers, but since some of the rocks are totally covered, I was looking for a quicker method. They always squirt slime and smell really bad when you pull them off too. After reading this thread, I'm almost afraid to pull any more off. Since I can easily remove some of the rocks, I might try the grill idea. I think they are just common brown palys. They are copper colored and about the size of a dime with long lashes. Pretty, but there are just too many of them now.

Freshwater? Could it be that easy? I'd love to give them to someone, but I don't know many reefers in the area. If anyone out there thinks they are interested, let me know.

Put it in the for sale WTT paly rock for a clean rock... If you post it , they will come.. LOL
Freshwater? Could it be that easy? I'd love to give them to someone, but I don't know many reefers in the area. If anyone out there thinks they are interested, let me know.

Back