Zoanthid poison is no laughing matter

Even just pulling them off the rock they can release toxins. The potential danger is there and not just with Zoos. This was the topic Steven Pro presented at a BRASS it is a very real concern
there are many thing that are potentially dangerous in our tank. In my time in the hobby I have had a few mild adverse reaction and have seen many more of others playing in their tanks.

Know what you are playing with it don;t jump on every band wagon without researching it first. Personally Boiling your rock is a waste of energy you could accomplish the same with just doing what you should have to begin with. But in this case trying to take the easy way out and not enough knowledge this person almost killed themselves. Just goes to show just because you see a thread on RC and a bunch of people are doing it mean it is a good idea. Do you own homework stick to basics first and know what you are putting in your tank.

So, how do you get rid of unwanted palys that spread all over your tank? What does "you could accomplish the same with just doing what you should have to begin with" mean? Exactly what should I have done to begin with? I bought a small frag 4 years ago from a reputable dealer. It grew and spread. Now I need to prune it back. Obviously, I'm not going to make the same mistakes that the above reefers made. What do you suggest?

You can frag it...just wear gloves and goggles/a face mask and be careful to not get it on your skin/in your eyes. You can either break the rock or cut the mat and basically pull the polyps up. Look it up on youtube or google.

As long as it isn't getting into any open sores, cuts, eyes, mouth or being somehow inhaled you will be fine. You should take the precautions listed by everyone to prevent any possible mistakes. Better to be cautious than to be in the hospital for something that was easily preventable and also isn't commonly thought of when treating reactions especially if your reaction was severe enough to where you were unable to tell the doctors exactly what you were exposed to.

Hi All. Not to kick a dead horse, but feel it is a good idea to keep awareness of this up as i had a nice little trip to the ER last week as a result. In my case, i was only moving things around to do a little housecleaning, and must have gotten some of the toxin on my hands. After i finished cleaning up i 'rinsed' my hands off and had a snack.

Shortly afterwards (not even 10 minutes) i started to develop a sore throat, the metallic taste, a headache, flushing in the face and an upset stomach.

Stubborn me did not go to the ER until all symptoms continued to the following morning. The good thing is MGH ER sees this frequently from the employees of the aquarium and knew what to do.

Needless to say this is not a horrible account, but it happened on Thrusday night, and today Wednesday, i still feel 'off'. not a fun experience at all.

Lesson learned, wear gloves (glasses, other protection) no matter what you are doing in your tanks. And if you think you have been exposed, don't hesitate, go to the ER.

Oh, and beware of the Wiki page that comes up when you google palytoxin. Accurate or not, it outlines the absolute worst case scenario, and does not help with your comfort levels.

Rhawn

Im curious about this metallic taste.
I get a weird metallic-flower taste ( it's hard to explain, sweet ) every time I put my hands in my pico and only after I've touched the tanks water. However there are no zoa/Paly's.
No other symptoms though.

Several years ago I got very sick from this. I was fragging, aquascaping and cleaning my aquarium and I inhaled some water while siphoning it into a bucket. I spit it out. My mouth felt metal feeling so I brushed my teeth, rinsed my mouth, etc. This began the two week ordeal of sweats, dizziness and feeling poisoned. I felt like I was drugged. It was the wierdest feeling I've ever felt. It would come and go. If I pushed too hard it would come on but if I rested I felt better. I went to the doctor twice but was told I had to ride it out and the Palytoxin will naturally work it's way out. Rest and drink tons of water. I missed four days of work over two weeks.

as you follow this hobby while ingauged in it & the the years pass you bodies natural filters take in the toxins from your tank.....When you have 10 plus years of handling corals without gloves, for that long it catches up to you....In the forms of rash, wheezing, hacking cough, etc....Just from touching corals with bare hands....I know this from experience.....I must wear gloves if I'm handling alot of corals in a small amount of time... (same day)

should have wore gloves out of the gate...

Back