zoos problem?

the filtration is just a filter that came with it, its a sponge filter type deal built into the back of it. i have a hood on it is a hang on going to be in the way of it?

if you can get good cured stuff ready to go in, I would say get a minimum of about 10-12 lbs. more to start depending on the dimensions of your tank. the rock is a very important part of the cycling process and will get your parameters in check quicker than anything else will.

ok I see it is an aquapod. you will be somewhat limited as to rock size, but get some smaller pieces that you can work with to get that total weight up a little bit. you should work on keeping that "filter" clean in the back especially while it is cycling. are you using r/o for your water changes or tap? if tap go to r/o if you can it will eliminate a lot of issues. you can put live rock into the back area as filtration as well, some people I have heard use a mesh bag with the rock inside to make it easy to remove and wash off. you will get a lot of crap collecting in that back area and the more you get out the better.

do you think i should buy a skimmer and take that filter out? or will that make things worse

sorry im asking so many questions, im wicked new with this stuff

I may want to divert to someone who has a nano like yours to answer those types of questions based on their setup. I think I have seen people using a hob skimmer and then live rock in the back chambers in those but not having one I would not be sure..........someone with an aquapod jump in here with your expertise please!

no like if i took out the stock pump, bought a skimmer, and used that plus the sponge thats in there already. plus the rock in the back

I used to have a 12 gal cube -- Not an aquapod but similar.

In the back chambers I had the sponge (cleaned frequently in RO water), live rock in the second, and a heater and the return pump in the 3rd chamber. No skimmer, but I did every other week water changes of about 5 gal.

Are there bio-balls in there? Take em out!

I learned a ton of stuff just by reading forum postings on this and other sites. Not to mention lots and lots of books. Do your homework before going any further. :)

Back