5th Southern NH Frag Draft

SWEET! A goo party too. I was just thinking about that yesterday that I really needed to make some! Bec (Reefnroll) has told me that a key ingredient is a bunch of vegetable skins - has anyone used this before?

I'll bring a quiche (for us to eat)

and for the goo, I'll bring frozen mysis, uncooked cocktail shrimp, and probably some broccoli. I'll PM Bec to see what veggies she used

SWEET! A goo party too. I was just thinking about that yesterday that I really needed to make some! Bec (Reefnroll) has told me that a key ingredient is a bunch of vegetable skins - has anyone used this before?

I'll bring a quiche (for us to eat)

and for the goo, I'll bring frozen mysis, uncooked cocktail shrimp, and probably some broccoli. I'll PM Bec to see what veggies she used

Nick thats huge. Me, and Jerry was talking about a good mixture this A.M.. Seems your one step ahead of us!!!

I'll get the Scallops or clam, and Nori.:eek:

Here is the recipe that's pretty widely used from Eric Borneman:

Eric's "famous" coral food recipe

I rarely have or use all of the ingredients listed, and I don't think it will make a difference over the long term. I also use this, or a variation of it, for my homemade fish food (I leave the fish food chunkier and add various algae). Basically, I either use what is left over from the last round of food-making, or I go to a few stores and get whatever they might have at the time. I feed this to the tank day and at night, generally, and would add that for some of the ingredients, I have no idea if they have any specific role. Its just what I have done before. I have also changed a bit with some other foods now available (since I have written this last time)

I try to get a mix of particle sizes involved to accomodate not just all sizes of polyps, but also feed other inverts that filter feed.

Fresh seafood:

Some combination of the ingredients below and it makes up a relatively small percent of the total - maybe 10-20%?

shrimp (I squeeze the heads and usually use some of the "meat" in the fish food)
oysters - blend well (may have Vibriostatic properties)
various other shellfish (mussels, clams, periwinkles, etc. - the bloodier, the better...live is great (shucking is a pain but gives a good final product)
Fish roe (sometimes available at Asian markets as fresh)

Frozen foods

This makes up perhaps 20-30% of the mix - some are from an aquarium store, some from the grocer, some can be cultured

Artemia - adult
Artemia nauplii (baby brine shrimp) (enriched, if possible)
Mysid shrimp
Sea urchin roe
Flying fish roe
Rotifers
DT's oyster eggs - this is a new additions and one of my very favorite coral foods. Particle size and nutrition is excellent.

Dried Aquarium Foods

this makes up the majority of my mix - probably 40%

Golden Pearls - all sizes available, but a majority of the smallest size
Cyclop-Eeze
VibraGro
Powdered marine flake

Phytoplankton - doesn't need to be alive since the mix is frozen, but make sure it is high quality. I don't expect it does much, but just in case some of the species utilize it, great. If not, the zooplankton and other filter feeders wiil -makes up maybe 2% of mix or less?

Supplements

makes up maybe 2-5% of mix?

Super Selco ( a big squeeze)
Sea Green Vitamin supplements - various brands, powdered, from Whole Foods market

I have also been known to add Echinacea capsules, the skins of colorful vegetables and fruits, various pigment complexes of carotenoids, etc. and/or antioxidants from Whole Foods market. I am also now adding SeaVive, a beta glucan/vitamin C and protein complex (all natural) into my fish foods, which due to its powdered form, also will potentially be a coral food.

In terms of preparation, I puree the solid seaoods, mix in the frozen thawed ingredients, soak the dry/powdered ingredients in the wet ingredients, combine them all together and let them sit for a few hours, and then freeze them into small flats in ziplocs in the freezer. I usually wind up with about 50.00 in foods per batch and make about a gallon or so of food that lasts a couple or more months.

If I have live cultures going, I add them when its time. I have no qualms about making the tank absolutely cloudy with food, though do not feed this heavily all the time. I try to feed every night, but miss some nights. Some nights I give them the holy grail and just pour in food so it resides for at least an hour, and then skim the rest out.

If you guys are interested I can bring a (barely touched) bar of Frozen Cyclop-Eeze. I aslo have the 2 smallest sizes of Golden Pearls as well.

That would be great......

May also need one more blender if someone has one kicking around.

Man I'm pumped about this colony draft... when Jerry talked to me about 2 months ago I thought to myself..."Man this will be a big undertakeing" Once again he gets it done....

I've got a food processor I can bring. I just got word from Bec on the vegetables she puts in there. If we can swing it, I think it would be a good idea to try emulating her recipe, especially considering how much her corals respond to it.

Here is what Bec told me:
Hey Laurie -

Broccoli, yes.. just the heads quickly chopped up in a food processor.

The other veggies I includes are based on what's available and what's colorful. Mostly I wind up with the skins of the following:

carrots
tomato
some kind of yellow squash
plum or eggplant

Chopped up leaves of the these:

collard greens
spinach
kale

Plus:
dulse (red algae)
nori (green or red algae)

You need to mess around with the quantities a bit to figure out the right number of each veggie or fruit to purchase, based on how muh Goo you're making... but these have worked for me. The fish won't recognize some of it in the initial feedings, but over time they will be craving carrots and eggplant (very finely chopped)!

Hope this helps,

b

Hey folks! At this time... I have to bow out of the draft due to some issues on the home front. Sorry to leave you hanging. Good luck on the draft!!

Marc

Everybody calm down - while I try and sort out what is going on - on all parties involved.

cant i panic a little ?? :)
just kidding. if you need a place jerry i offer mine up. just let me know

Those that have offered an alternative location.. Thank you.. I will try to sort out what the fuss is ...

The best saying I have seen in a signature still holds true.

"Relax it is a freakin fish club"

I thing we all need to practice this..

We will have a new location and a new vendor...
A PM explaining a vendor supply issue has come up and we will need to change vendors.

Draft update

I would like to update this thread that our original plans are intact and that our original resource for our corals is back on.

A note to all - I have worked out some details that were on my end and that our original contact and I have reached an agreement to acquire the coral colonies as originally discussed.

So that aside, the draft is on as planned, the location has changed to Ray's place - he is located on the border of Mass and NH. More details will follow next week.

So back to the food, frag swaps and sale items - let's all try to have some fun. Let's also concentrate on breakfast items...

Also a big public THANK YOU to our supplier...
This person's corals are awesome and you will be very happy with the results.

VERY glad to hear everything worked out. Will we have room to do goo at Ray's, or should we save that for another time?

i will assume no goo at rays. it will be a little tight to have all that lovely low tide smell :D
but it is up to ray, his house :)

Great news that everything is back on.. On top of that the new location is closer!!! Great news indeed.

:D

I moved this thread to the Pooled Orders forum. We haven't moved some past threads to the correct place, but in the future this forum is where you should start these threads (and where we should be putting them). :)

Carry on in your new digs.

Nate

Back