14 gallon bio cube(or something of the like). are they worth the money/ time?

PasstheTorch

BRS Member
hello,
i set up my little 4 gallon pico tank about a month ago and now i just have the itch to get a little bigger nano. are the bio cubes worth it? or would it be better to buy everything seperate and not as a kit? also are the lights strong enough in them for lps and sps? sorry for all these questions haha :confused:

I had a 12 gallon DX. Loved it! Comes with the pump, lights in the hood, and thats about it. The back has 3 chambers. I moded the middle to be a fuge, the first was carbon, Chemi pure, etc.

It was a great litle tank. The stock lights are bright, but barely enough for SPS in my opinion. Fine for softy's. I swapped to a MH light because I wanted less blue in the spectrum and wanted a stronger light for SPS.

My Avitar was my 12g DX.

I had a BioCube 29 and loved it. I had a Sunpod 150W MH on it. Had to remove the cover for the Sunpod. Go to nano-reef.com, there you can see the mods people have made to them to make them even better. Here is a picture of mine
Picture021.jpg

That's a beautiful tank! And will do! Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to know a good place to buy them cheaper? Cuz money isnt growin on trees anywhere near me haha

I have a Biocube 14 and love it....Lighting is proboabley not good out of the barrel for SPS but LPS it is sufficient...You can get a mod for somewhere between $200 and $300 of the hood that adds better fans and an additional 24W light which could make it better...I am just starting a design to put a sump/fuge underneath to give me more water volume and well...just to try it!

I have an extra one I could part with fairly inexpensively if you are interested..

That's a beautiful tank! And will do! Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to know a good place to buy them cheaper? Cuz money isnt growin on trees anywhere near me haha
Thanks. If you were closer mine is for sale.

I have a Biocube 14, and it is ok IMO I am keeping LPS with good success, just introduced a little LPS, we'll see how it goes. I wish I had ponied up for the 29. I find the 14 a little tight for space, and a pain to keep water parameters stable...plus there is no such thing as a "little issue" when something's up, it's your whole tank in a blink. The flow is pretty much insufficient, so you'll need an additional powerhead and a pump upgrade. Otherwise... I like the look of the Biocube, and I like the plug-and-play convenience of it, you can easily get started just with what the kit comes with, just be prepared to upgrade to support the more needy livestock.

I paid big bucks for the Biocube 8.. it would've been cheaper to get the 14... and it's never worth it to buy new. one of the big mistakes I regret. buying new.

Back