2 part dosing question...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
I'm about to start setting up my 2 part dosing via a Greg Hiller dosing pump (thanks again Greg) and I had a quick question about where to put the lines.

I was thinking of putting the alk in the chamber near the return pump as IIRC that is the one that gets cloudy the quickest and putting the other line at the start of the bubble trap. My sump goes skimmer section, 3 baffles and then return pump section. Would that be enough time for them to mix? I thought I had read somewhere not to add them together :confused:

utf-8BSU1BRzAwNDYuanBn.jpg

My only other option would be to put the calcium line up and over into the main tank...

Any other options?

Idk how the pump works but could u stager the doseing. Maybe add part 1 then some time later add part 2.

I don't think it matters all that much. I also use the 2-head doser from Greg, and for reasons that don't need to be explained, I put the two tubes about two inches away from each other. I have never had a problem with the two mixing together, and the alk and calcium have always been very stable with no precipitate.

I would look to see if you can stagger them also, I am using the Drews Dosers on a RK Elite, I have alk dose then 30 minutes after my Cal this happens every 2 hours at night. I am dosing only at night to help with pH

I don't think it matters all that much. I also use the 2-head doser from Greg, and for reasons that don't need to be explained, I put the two tubes about two inches away from each other. I have never had a problem with the two mixing together, and the alk and calcium have always been very stable with no precipitate.

That's good to know. I think I should be all set if yours are that close without problems...

Idk how the pump works but could u stager the doseing. Maybe add part 1 then some time later add part 2.

I would look to see if you can stagger them also, I am using the Drews Dosers on a RK Elite, I have alk dose then 30 minutes after my Cal this happens every 2 hours at night. I am dosing only at night to help with pH

Because of the way this pump is set up I can't stagger it... They both run at the same time unless I get another pump body but don't have the money or the room for it right now...

Dave, your plan makes sense to me. You don't want to add them too close to each other becuase they may be more likely to precipitate out of the water.

Oh, one additional suggestion. Do NOT have the line that delivers the fluid under the water surface of your tank. That way if you ever have a leak on the delivery lines you will not slowly MT your tank via siphon.

Thanks Greg for the advice. I plan on trying some airline check valves as well since they're only a few bucks to see if they work and for added peace of mind...

Thanks Greg for the advice. I plan on trying some airline check valves as well since they're only a few bucks to see if they work and for added peace of mind...

If you use these, be prepared to check them frequently and replace them as well.

Back