37g tank question

B.rian

i would rather be diving
this tank has a center brace. can i remove this? i was thining about using a pendant over this tank, but the brace would be in the way. the tank dimensions are 30x12x22. any advice? i was thinking of using my dremmel to just cut it off.

PERFECT! thanks for the link. what kind of nylon bolts and nuts are you supposed to get (size)? if i go to home depot and ask for nylon bolts, will they know what i am talking about? i have some lexan lying around, always do.

HD will know about the bolts. They have them in the bins with all the other screws and such. I just bought some last week.

PERFECT! thanks for the link. what kind of nylon bolts and nuts are you supposed to get (size)? if i go to home depot and ask for nylon bolts, will they know what i am talking about? i have some lexan lying around, always do.

Make sure to leave about 1" of the old center brace to bolt on to and use 1/4-20 nylon nuts and bolts. HD should have them. I would also bond at the same time with a two part epoxy (the type that comes in a double syringe, also at HD) and be sure to get the hex part of the nut and bolt into the epoxy to keep it from loosening.

I had a 37gal tank and it was missing the center brace when I got it. I secured it with thin stainless steel braided cable and never had any issues.

i cut the brace out of my 46gal BF and replaced with with plastic coated steel cable. no problems since :) i however, would definitely replace it with something instead of chancing it!

I agree. Phreef had a cool suggestion. I am real surprised when I see people remove center braces even from larger tanks. They are there for a reason. I have a glass center brace on my 90 but it still blocks a lot of light because it gets dirty but I like it that way because I place corals I would be afraid of burning there.

Back