My new 37G Cube/Column Softy & LPS setup

SMS76

Non-member
I am planning 37G Softy and LPS setup and here are more details:

Equipments

-> Tank & Stand
37G Perfecto Column/Cube Tank (20 x 18 x24)
DIY Stand
DIY Canopy

-> Flow :
Two Maxi-jets 1200 Power Heads
Return flow from Aqua Clear 110 DIY Refugium

-> Lighting :
175W Single Ended (10K XM) Retro Light
20Watt 6500K CF Refugium Lighting on Clip on Gooseneck lamp

-> Refugium :
Aqua Clear 110 DIY Refugium with Aqua Clear Surface Skimmer

-> Filtration :
Aqua Clear 110 DIY refugium with Cheato & Carbon
2-3” Shallow sand bed (Kolorscape sand)
Around 60 lb of Dry Rock & Live Rock

Live Stock
-> Fish :
Fire fish
Pearl Jaw fish
Pair of Oscellaris Clowns
Royal Gramma

Also planning to add in this order, what do you think?

-> Corals :
Mainly LPS with some softies

-> Inverts :
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Feather Dusters
Clam
Snails
Sea Squirts
Sponges

This will be skimmerless tank to start with. I am planning to do biweekly 15% water change, if doesn't work out i will add HOB skimmer. This is sumpless as well. I am planning to keep low bioload and skimmerless to play with and see how it goes.

What do you think? Any suggetions or concerns? I started building stand, i will post pictures.

Last edited:
I'd add a T5 actinic to make all those nice softies and LPS look snappy.

I think skimmerless is probably reasonable for this tank. With such a small tank and no skimmer or sump, low fish-load will be very important IMO. I even wonder if the 5 small fish you listed would be pushing it a bit. I don't think it's a question of whether a tank can run skimmerless, it's a question of whether you can make yourself understock it enough to keep it running skimmerless. :)

Nate, Thanks for reply. I will look into Actinics, if it fits, i might go for it. I am debating regarding 5 fish, i think it should be fine but who knows. I am planning to add them slowly so i might skip one or two if needed.
I am planning to keep it understock and i think i will try to stay away from temptation to add more live stock. I think i passed that phase with my previous two setups in last couple years, but who knows :)

When running skimmerless I like to have a skimmer going even if it doesn't pull anything out. It adds aeration all the time and has saved me quite a few times when mass spawning events happen without me knowing about it. I just have the water level set so that it doesn't take much of anything out normally and a drain for the tea it makes in an emergency.

I guess it isn't really skimmerless, but it adds peace of mind for me.

When running skimmerless I like to have a skimmer going even if it doesn't pull anything out. It adds aeration all the time and has saved me quite a few times when mass spawning events happen without me knowing about it. I just have the water level set so that it doesn't take much of anything out normally and a drain for the tea it makes in an emergency.

I guess it isn't really skimmerless, but it adds peace of mind for me.

Cindy, You have a very good point. You are right, having skimmer adds more safety towards mass spawn etc..

I am planning to add more filter feeders to this tank and hopefully it will provide kind of natural skimming and food to the tank. I am also planning to light feed this tank to keep the water clean in the absense of skimmer. Will see how it goes.

So do you think 5 fish listed below are fine or i need to remove some, if so which one should i keep and which one should i take it out?

-> Fish :
Fire fish
Pearl Jaw fish
Royal Gramma

I have kind of a similar setup. Mine is a 33g cube, so it's just a little shorter. I started out with AC 110 fuge and have since done away with it (wanna buy it?). I now have an AquaC Remora HOB skimmer and a the small size Aquafuge. Like Cindy said, I just like the peace of mind that comes with a skimmer, knowing that things can go wrong fast in a small tank. The aquafuge adds water volume, provides a larger space for growing macro, gives me a place to isolate frags, and makes for a nice little tank in and of itself for viewing (I recommend the black backed one).

For fish I'm wondering if you plan to get an anenome for the clownfish? I think an anenome is a no-no for a small tank. I love my Jawfish and have a deep sand bed for her to burrow in. I've heard mixed reviews on Grammas. People either seem to love them or hate them.

Anyway, just my thoughts and experiences.

I have kind of a similar setup. Mine is a 33g cube, so it's just a little shorter. I started out with AC 110 fuge and have since done away with it (wanna buy it?). I now have an AquaC Remora HOB skimmer and a the small size Aquafuge. Like Cindy said, I just like the peace of mind that comes with a skimmer, knowing that things can go wrong fast in a small tank. The aquafuge adds water volume, provides a larger space for growing macro, gives me a place to isolate frags, and makes for a nice little tank in and of itself for viewing (I recommend the black backed one).

For fish I'm wondering if you plan to get an anenome for the clownfish? I think an anenome is a no-no for a small tank. I love my Jawfish and have a deep sand bed for her to burrow in. I've heard mixed reviews on Grammas. People either seem to love them or hate them.

Anyway, just my thoughts and experiences.

I already bought AC110 so i will give it a try otherwise i will get HOB skimmer like you did. Does that skimmer and HOB refugium fit on the same back side?

What do you have for fish for this tank? I am not planning to have any anemone for this setup. I don't mind if they decide to host in one of the LPS or softy or clam or ... :) My last clownfish was hosting in Feather Duster (my avatar)

Technically, both the skimmer and aquafuge could fit on the same side, but I have a surface skimmer box on the skimmer which makes it an impossible fit. I have the Aquafuge on the side next to my recliner so I can see what's going on in both tanks at the same time.

I have a burrower (Pearly Jawfish), a percher and hole-peeker (Red Sea Mimic Blenny), and a swimmer (Fridmani Psuedochromis). It's a nice combination color, personality and behavior-wise. I'd like to get a green Clown Goby, but I'll wait till I get a larger tank.

I think 5 is too many. I'd probably scratch the gramma first because they're sometimes mean, aren't they? And, this is more of a personal choice, I'd skip the clowns if not getting an anemone, because I love their hosting behaviors, but otherwise they're pretty dull fish. A little six-line wrasse might be an interested addition in their place.

So do you think 5 fish listed below are fine or i need to remove some, if so which one should i keep and which one should i take it out?

-> Fish :
Fire fish
Pearl Jaw fish
Royal Gramma

I would do a pair of pearlys and skip the firefish, but that's just me. I really like the pair and group behaviours of the pearlys. Either way, almost everyone seems to eventually lose both firefish and pearlys to jumping, so plan for that with the hood.

How about Gramma (my dauther loves purple :) ), Pearl Jaw fish and pair of clowns? I have had firefish jump as well in the past so i might skipt that one.

I am planning to have covered canopy except backside which will have egg crate.

I like royal grammas too :) I don't think you are too heavy for fish load, but take that with a grain of salt since I tend to cram fish into tanks. :D I have had adult jawfish go through eggcrate though so you might want to use bridal mesh or something.

I like royal grammas too :) I don't think you are too heavy for fish load, but take that with a grain of salt since I tend to cram fish into tanks. :D I have had adult jawfish go through eggcrate though so you might want to use bridal mesh or something.

I have to admit, i like royal gramma as well. Do you think any aggressive fish might have cause your jawfish to jump? Where can i find bridal mesh?

In my experience, jawfish sometimes jump with no good provocation. I don't think a jaw will have trouble with a gramma at all. They really aren't that bad for territoriality with other fish. The similar looking Bicolor Pseudochromis
gets very nasty, but the gramma mostly won't do much more than open his mouth and try to look tough.

Bridal mesh you can get at any walmart or craft store. It comes in different size holes and you can just wrap the eggcrate with it.

If you like purple, go with a Fridmani!

100_3629.jpg

I haven't had any problems with jumping, I think due to the depth of the tank and the fact that I put the jawfish in first. The Fridmani went in last several months later.

Personally, I wouldn't do 5 fish without a skimmer in a tank that size, but that's just me and I'm no expert.

Thanks everyone for reply.

I have had fridimani before as well and were very happy with it as well. I am leaning towards following four fish and will add slowly. I will also try to get them in small size and let them mature. What do you think about this order?

Perl Jaw fish
Pair of Oscellaris clowns
Royal Gramma

Also what's the best way to cycle tank quicker? I am thinking about adding raw shrimp to the tank for cycle. After how many days should i remove it?

I will have 80% dry rock and will add 20% LR in this tank. Should i add all LR in the beginning of the cycle or add slowly? What do you recommend?

Update:
Built stand and canopy (got to take few pics :) ) and got sand and dry rock. Also got MH lights setup, now need to fill it up and add some LR and wait for a long cycle.

Question: I have glass ebo jager heater set at 80 F. Can i put this heater directly in the cold RO/DI water for tank and heat the water? Is it going to be fine or it can damage the heater? After rock and sand, i am guessing it will be 30G of water in the tank.

I would shut the heater off and wait for it to come down in temp. It will break otherwise and short out. alao when you put it in the colder water make sure u let it sit for a good half hour to make sure it does not get thermal shock.

Back