A close call and a safety tip.

reefkeeper2

BRS Member
Here is a safety tip and one way to avoid a tank disaster.
Last night at 1:30 AM, an old Eheim pump in my sump decided it had had enough. It tripped the GFI and shut everything down. The apex detected the power outage and started texting and emailing me. Unfortunately I was very much asleep. This could have been a real disaster, but being an old reefer it is not the first time this has happened to me. This time I anticipated Mr Murphy's (Murphy's Law) unexpected visit. Everyone should know that for safety you should have your equipment plugged into a proper GFI outlet. This really is a must to protect your home and family. The problem is that if something like what happened at my house last night occurs and your not around your livestock can be toast. Of course that's better than your whole house being toast, but you want to prevent both. The solution is to have your circulation pumps and your return pump on different circuits. My return pump never lost power when everything else shut down last night, so my critters were fine when I got up. The first time this happened to me I was lucky, discovered it in time and nothing perished. But the lesson was learned. Safety proof your setup!

Good advice Paul! I run my return pump on an entirely different breaker than the rest of my tank. Glad you were home when this happened.

Back