[Acclimation] Light on or off?

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
We are Acclimating two percula clowns a blood red shrimp. Should I turned the lights off to introduce them to the tank when would it be ok to hit the lights on them?

Thanks

I usually keep them off when the fish are in the bag to avoid overheatingof the air in the bag and reduce stress. The clowns are most likely tank raised and not skitish, so I doubt having the lights on once they are in the tank would make any difference. With a more sensitive fish, I usually leave the MH off and just use the actinics for the first 24 hours or so.

I think it's best to leave the lights out so the new fish can explore the new territory without any aggression from fish that are already in the tank. In the morning when the lights go on, the new fish are already used to the tank and they won't be afraid of the current inhabitants.

I think these are his first fish.
I wouldnt worry about anything but heating the bag with them in it up. I usually do it in my sump (no lights)

All set guys they are up and running. I turned the lights out doring the acclimation but turned them back on about a hour after. They are already eating and seem to be very happy. The snails are sliding al over the place and the shrimp has taken refuge in a hole in one of my live rocks. the disease has began!

Back