Advice needed- JBJ Nano is giving me problems

Nikki

Non-member
Hey everyone!

Background: I lived in South Florida for 3 years and had two 29g reef tanks. I moved up to Boston last May with one decent sized piece of live rock and my beloved 3 year old gold-striped maroon clown named Todd. I purchased a 12g JBJ Nano Deluxe and stuck the rock and Todd into it and haven't done anything since besides maintenance.

For photos of my previous tanks and Todd go here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2032344&l=66e44&id=33402569

Problem:

I have a 12g JBJ Nano Deluxe and it hasn't been a year and I've had several issues. The most recent being a defective lighting fixture. I replaced the bulb and it still won't turn on so now I need some alternatives.

I don't really want to buy another JBJ Nano hood because I am skeptical about the quality (both the fans have also died within several months and for some reason it bubbles on occasion and is really loud).

I was told at Skipton's that there is no other hood/lighting fixture that would fit onto my tank. I have a cat so I need something that sits directly on the tank and I also prefer to have it look seemless.

I'm thinking that the easiest thing to do is just buy another nano but I'd like some recommendations on which one. Any suggestions???

Here is the tank (prior to the lighting problem) and my kitty :)

n33402569_31674939_7869.jpg

n33402569_31674936_7116.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello, welcome!! Do you know EXACTLY how long you have had your JBJ? Are you sure it been less than a year?

I have the same tank, and had the exact same problem. I called them three times, and FINALLY they sent me out a new hood, free of charge, and it had a brand new light in it. All I had to do was fill out a form and fax it to them. If I were you I would keep calling and bugging them and they will probably send you a new one, too.

are both your bulbs out or just one? you said its the deluxe so i'm assuming theres 2. but the tank in the pic has black trim so i think thats a non deluxe model. the ballast that JBJ use are known for having problems. that might be your problem. they are relativly inexpensive though.

its most likely one of these ballast
http://www.nanotuners.com/index.php?cPath=29&osCsid=2dc00438ee455274838e67d2191b0356

that website also has a lot of lighting upgrades, you can even buy complete hoods.
or if your you're pretty good with do it yourself projects, you could do a custom hood like i did.
DSC03561.jpg

hi!
Ditto on nanotuners/nanocustoms. If you are not technically skilled (i am not), any of the tanks you see on www.nanocustoms.com can be sold as only hoods for you to put onto your tank. I had a similar issue wanting to replace my hood, dealing with cat issues etc. In the end i got the JBJ glass top and a sunpod. Sometimes the cats think about sitting on the sunpod but no issues yet. I put a birdfeeder outside the windows of the room and they prefer to sit there now. I have dealt with nanocustoms for my work tank and have found their customer service and products to be really excellent if you decide to go that way as well. A warning as to the seemlessness of the hood, if you get a nanocustoms hood, there will be some more external wiring etc than you are currently used to but it is worth it.
good luck
D

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Well I got in touch with JBJ and they said they will send me out a new hood then I have to return mine and I have to pay for shipping both ways. I will figure out shipping costs but I'm thinking of just buying a whole new tank and just being done with it.

Saw this one here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...od_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+13976&pcatid=13976

Anyone have any luck with the aquapod?

Last edited:
I have a 12 gal aquapod that I took off the stock top and put on a Current 70 watt halide. Awesome litte setup!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Well I got in touch with JBJ and they said they will send me out a new hood then I have to return mine and I have to pay for shipping both ways. I will figure out shipping costs but I'm thinking of just buying a whole new tank and just being done with it.

Saw this one here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...od_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+13976&pcatid=13976

Anyone have any luck with the aquapod?

It took me more than one call to get them to send it for free. You might want to try again... With a little more bit....errr... snarkyness :D

I just found out that their warranty is only for 6 months, not 1 year. :(

So, either $155 for a new 12g aqua pod or ....??

I don't need bright bulbs, all I have is Todd and a piece of live rock.
I need something sitting on the tank so the cat can't stick his paw in there.

Any ideas?

You could make sure the tank isn't well grounded... it would only take once or twice before Todd realizes when his tail stands on end its not for him....

i have had a 24 gallon aquapod for almost 3 years and i LOVE it!!!!! the lighting is good enough for softies and such if you decide you want to go that route later on. plenty of room in the rear chamers for almost anything you want. i would definitely reccommend one!!!!

So I ordered the new aqua pod for now. Luckily I purchased the tank last year with my Amex so I can use their extended warranty protection. I think it's called buyer's assurance. They will get back to me in 2 weeks and if everything checks out I should be getting a credit on my card for the full amount. :)

Got my new tank in today, it's noticeably larger than the JBJ Nano and looks enormous on my kitchen counter! I'm setting everything up right now. :)

American Express approved my claim so I am getting my money back for the JBJ and it is coming out even so basically the Aquapod is free. Yeay!

It's all put together with the water in it and Todd, and I just have one question. There was this funny looking black piece that stems off into two fan tips. Where do I attach that? The directions didn't even really mention it.

That's for the water returning back to the tank from the pump. It attaches in the upper right corner and you can adjust it so the flow goes where you want!

Back