Another New Guy

riguy314

Non-member
Hello all!
I am new to Boston Reefers and still relatively new to the hobby. Here is a little background info. Have had a 72 gal Bow Front tank running since 01. The sump is located beneath the tank with a ETSS reef Devil skimmer, heater, Live rock, carbon bag and pumps. Lighting is a Marastar MH / T5 lights, although I have not run the MH due to the heat they create. We have redesigned it several times over the years, going for the old rock wall look to the island look and now tower on each side look. The tank itself has been great and running very smoothly with the exception of the tank wipeout at the beginning of last summer. We lost everyone with the exception of, you guessed it, a clownfish. Inverts were not effected. Not so lucky were a Red Sea Sailfin Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Watchman gobie, Flame angel. The only survivor was a 12yr old Clownfish "Nemo". original I know. We do not know exactly what caused it but it happened over night and very quickly. It wasn't fun trying to explain to twin 5 yr olds where our fish went. ok, you got me. I may have told a little white lie or two about that one. Let's just say the still missing are at the hospital Aquarium and will be coming home soon. Hint #1.

Fast forward to today...we have replaced the flame angel, added 2 wrasses, BTA w/ anemone crab and a emperor angel. I realize the tank is too small for her when she grows just a little but I couldn't resist. see below ::. Fish are feed 1-2 times a day - mix of foods, Rod's Reef, Ocean Nutrition Flakes, and Frozen angel formula. seaweed on a rock or clip is given 3-4 times a week usually opposite time of the feeding. Food is usually soaked with Selcon, Angellixir, Vita Chem or Garlic. All kidding aside, Rod's Reef Food has got to be some of the best food. Not saying it to promote the line, I can only say that the everyone in the tank loves it. Just ordered several others varieties of Rod's and cannot wait to get it.

I still have much to learn and one of the main reasons for joining Boston Reefers is to be able to connect and learn from all the knowledgeable people who are members and use their experiences as a learning tools. hoping to be able to learn about large systems, anemones, angels, SPS corals and large systems. hint #2. I know that SPS and angels may not exactly go together but it has been done. Everyone can grill me on it later.

As you can probably guess by now, we are planning an upgrade for the fall. We are currently speaking with Miracles regarding a tank that will be big enough for the angel and anything else the little guys or the big guy may want. :cool: I am sure I will have many questions, probably will ask the same questions a number of different times, but I look forward to learning from everyone.

I would like to start by asking anyone with experience with BTA's a question. Scenario - had the BTA for about 7 months now. She has been eating steady for the entire time up until the beginning of last week. usually a piece of salmon or shrimp soaked in selcon every 2-3 days. Tank water tests seem good: KH 10, PH 8, Salt 1.025, nitrates maybe 0-10, Ca 425, Mag 1300. 20% water change weekly. she gets plenty of light, water flow and hasn't moved since she settled in "her spot" on the 2nd day in the tank. Color is good, she looks and acts normal. if I try to feed her, she retracts quickly and then a few minutes later she is open again. not to mention, her host anemone crab eats like a pig and protects her viciously. I realize that you don't have to feed BTA that often, but going from eating every 2-3 days to nothing for almost 2 weeks. am I over thinking this?

thanks in advance for the replies.

Welcome to the BRS! I would stop feeding your BTA so much. I have 3 and only feed them once a month and they do very well. Also she maybe getting ready to split? We do fish goo at most of the meetings and I have to say the fish and critters love it. If you bring something to put in it you get to take some home. You should try and make the next meeting and meet a bunch of other members. What is your location?

Welcome to the BRS! I would stop feeding your BTA so much. I have 3 and only feed them once a month and they do very well. Also she maybe getting ready to split? We do fish goo at most of the meetings and I have to say the fish and critters love it. If you bring something to put in it you get to take some home. You should try and make the next meeting and meet a bunch of other members. What is your location?

Hi - thank you for the advise. located in RI just outside of providence.

Back