Another newbie here!

cps68500

Non-member
Just wanted to into myself. I picked up a 55g with 10g sump. Came with a few extras including another 20g tank! I'm new to salt tanks so I've been searching like crazy on this forum. I love it.

Somethings I'm still working on is the flow to the sump tank and skimmer... any suggestions would help, but of course I'm been searching the forums already.

got any pics of the setup? if you do.. post it.. and we can help some...

If you want pics of the tanks on my garage floor being water testing, I can do that lol. I'm more of a planner and try to think out everything before I jump into anything. So far, no leaks. Being the planner, if it takes me 6 months to get everything set up first before I light it up, then so be it. I'd rather do things right the first time... knowing I'll be learning the whole through!

Essentially what I want to do is make an acrylic HOB skimmer with a tank below for sump. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post other people links in here so correct me if I can't... but I found this guys setup and I like it: http://www.melevsreef.com/install_sump.html

I'm thinking of either using the 20g as the sump or making a new acrylic one. I'm decently handy and plastic work is something I've done in the past. Then I would use the 10g tank right above that as an auto fill with a float switch.

Any thoughts?

....and any suggestions so I don't get the "See, I told you so" from the girlfriend... are much appreciated!

I would drill the tank :) I've heard HOB overflows can be a huge pain.

10g sump seems a bit too small. I would stick with the 20g, but if you can make a better sump that suits your needs better,then go for it.

Ahh, I've seen the drill method too and thought it may be overkill for a smaller 55g? Then that begs the question on which way to go with... two holes or three.... I'm learning, forgive me.

If I told her... hunny, I'm drilling out the tank this weekend I know I'll get the... "You're going to do WHAT!??!?! to the new tank you just paid HOW much for!!?!" lol

Bring it to a pro... i think Jay's still does this.. one thing about this hobby is baaaaaby steps...

I too did a sump under the tank.. for me.. it was the worst mistake ever (flooded the stand so many times that i think Moses was going to come over and help me out)... remote might not be the prettiest.. but a whole hell of alot easier to work on... give it a few years under your belt then probably go under the tank...

Back