Any old timers remeber they story behind Acropora efflo?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...
OK, I remember once upon a time there was an Efflo craze.
Who remember why it was so desirable back then?

I believe it was for the growth pattern. It plates and also grow upward branches. I love them.

I have the $500 efflo. It's starting to color up a bit. No vertical growth yet, lot of encrusting growth.

I had one with purple rim. Don't know the fancy name but it grew to about 12" before I sold it off to DaveMcreeferson. I'll try to find a pic tonight. It was all the hype back then but not the best looking SPS IMO comparing to what we have today.

I remember you used to have one, right?

I still have pics from the craziness when I used to sell em and I was the only one local bringing them in wait till photobucket comes back up and ill post some football sized colonies I was selling for 150.00 that was high priced back in 2002 lol

Today I got a frag of the reef raft efflo I paid 150 for lol

Back right corner the huge dinner plate sized efflo
Also right saucer sized mind u these whole colonies where 125-225 each far cry from where we are today
Look at the size of the largest powerhead made at that time how small it looks
Also rose bubbles back then where hot as hell

Back left another

Look at the size of these SPS too they where all like 150.00 each haa this is a 300gallon tank back in 2002

You can see more in this one too I was the first to bring these in with the help of DR Mac

Talk about blastos look at that colony they where brand new no one had ever seen em in 2002 they where not yet popular that piece was over 8" lol and the acro below was over 12" straight from Walt smith

Last edited:
Just so people know here...Efflo...commmon (meaningless) name. Refers to Acropora efflorescens. There are many similar Acropora forms, so actually identifying can be pretty hard/impossible. Plenty of people can grow this coral to a large size (there was once a bunch of large pieces donated by a BRS member to the auction), so I've never understood why the price of frags was so inflated. This is one coral I never put into my system, no particular reason, just didn't have that much appeal to me.

Back