Brainstorm: how to save a few bucks on this hobby

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Okay, here's the idea. If you have a good tip on how to save a few bucks on this hobby, post it here.

My tip: get yourself a digital thermometer for your tank at Radio Shack. I picked up an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer for 97 cents. That's right.
The unit was cheap because this model was discontinued. Anyway, you're supposed to mount the unit on the wall inside the house near a window. Then it has a probe tethered to the unit. The probe goes outside the window to monitor the temp outside.
Of course, we put that waterproof probe into our tank. That way you get the room temp and the tank's water temp.

Who else has a suggestion?

just check specs. on radio shacks unit they have a + or- of 1.8fto 5.4f degrees depending on unit

pinpoint units have a 0.2 f degrees resolution

i feel much safer with 0.2 degrees

Last edited:
Buy storage bins at Walmart and connect them together using bulkheads and pvc or tubing for a large capacity cheap undertank sump/refugium combination. Best part is you can cover parts with the lid and since it is opaque, no algea will grow in that section.

Collect and use Natural Sea Water. Though after the future chiropractor bills it might turn out to not be such a bargain, lol.

Don't buy any snails for your clean-up crew, get a few stometella varia "cap" snails and they will breed up to your algae capacity. ANd don't go crazy buying clean-up critters - IME you don't need all that much (of course this is dependent on your stocking levels and feeding habits, so YMMV.)

Do you really need all your equipment? I found I don't, my system currently pulls 282 watts. Of course this is an extreme example, and many people with sopisticated setups need all of the power sucking chillers, big pumps, etc. But I planned from the start to get bang-for the-buck,.......just beware the law of diminishing returns.

Some Wal-mart reefing:
Ball's pickling Lime $1.47
Marineland made carbon $5
Aquatainer 7 gallon stackable food grade water containers $7

I can add something KevK when your looking for filtration just get the best one for your tank or bigger , so you can upgrade to a bigger tank with no added expense their! (too bad I didn't do that)

1. Add a large sump away from the heat of the main tank lights...this will save energy since you may not need a chiller or at least it won't run as much

2. Use Tunze Streams as opposed to closed loops. Closed loops need larger pumps for the same water movement. Originally I would have never considered "powerheads" in my tank. But the Tunze are different...they create much more flow at a fraction of the energy use.

3. Become a Frag farmer to cut the costs of this expensive hobby

4. Buy drygoods in bulk or through group buys (kalkwasser, RODI filters, Calcium Reactor Media, etc.)

5. Use MH lighting...I know you think that they are expensive. But consider that MH lighting is 60% efficient whereas fluorescet is around 30 %.

6. Do things right the first time to avoid doing them over and incurring double the cost.

I have to agree w/what Chuck posted. I have the remote sump, no fans yet & tank only goes up to 82.6 so far. Bought a Tunze, working on frags, group buys!!, MH (but I upgraded to DE)

I would add: Surf RC for information (best thing I ever found)
Ask your fellow reefers 1st!!! and research before you purchase anything

Home-made Kalk topoff
Use Randy's "home brew" 2/3 part additives
Buy a big skimmer 1st!! Then when you upgrade your tank you don't need a new one
Look at power requirements of what you are buying, it will cost you in the long run if it sucks up a lot of juice!!
Test your tank on a reg basis or have monitors - you need to know when something is wrong.
"Used" Live Rock rocks!! I've paid less then $3 lb for all my rock (and 1/2 was $1 lb)
There are deals out there...just need to look (used equipment)
Buy the biggest tank you can 1st, it will save you on upgrades on everything when you DO decide to upgrade that "small" tank
Start using RO (at least) or RO/DI from the get go. Get a good multi-filter unit, it will pay for itself in the long run

Southdown Sand!! Get extra!!!

Let your friends know you are into SW, who knows who has a tank sitting unused in their basement. I have picked up 4 free tanks so far, 2 nice pumps, plus a huge air pump, plus other odds & ends

Interestingly, before I got into the hobby, I went to visit my friend at RPI, and we saw the tanks they had there. I took a lot of pictures ;) My girlfriend made it very clear that we were to put a setup like that in our home right away....now....a year later, here I am :)

My philosophy: In order to save money, you need to spend money.

1) If you keep a good number of SPSs, buy a calcium reactor. Additives + losses in corals/frags + lack of growth + test kits etc. together is more expensive than a CR in the long run

2) Buy good quality equipment. You get what you pay for. Crappy equipment will very likely require maintenance, replacement and stress management classes (for you of course). Reef equipment quality is way below the quality of other type of products relative to its cost.

3) Disease/pest preventive measures. Medication is very expensive to treat an entire tank. And likely you will kill a few good guys too. Dips and buying from reputable sources recommended.

4) No additives needed. I only put in my system salt water, RODI water, calcium reactor media and food.

5) Consider test kits a "nice to have". You really don't need them. I never test pH, Calcium, Alk or magnesium. I only test salinity during water changes, and temperature of course. I am getting a pH monitor just for ?the fun of it?.

6) If you have expensive fish & SPSs, buy a chiller. Temperature fluctuations will cause ick and coral bleaching/RTN.

Adam Stone said:
Whats this Home Brew you speak of?

It is using dowflake calcium chloride as the calcium part and baked baking soda or washing soda as the alk part of a 2 part additive.

I can't really contribute here

I spend $ on quality & try to buy once. Diy projects are great but most times (for me since I'm anal) they cost as much as the normal. I only recommend doing it if you want it a certain way & can't obtain it thru a vendor.

As far as powerheads tunzie & closed loops.......... I use a hayward actuated ball valve for circulation plummed from my return pump. No added powerheads & I can great current as the gen-x pumps 1100 gal at 0 head (only 96 watts of consumption) & I only have two feet of head. So I get all that presure flowing thru one side at a time. It switches thru x-10 every three mins to the opposite side. But my Bowfront is a help as well. (that is why I chose it)

save some big money if you never get started in the first place.
shot.gif

Anyone have a link

wrassefan said:
It is using dowflake calcium chloride as the calcium part and baked baking soda or washing soda as the alk part of a 2 part additive.

Does anyone have a link to an article concerning the above? I haven't seen yet.

Thanks

Back