Can you inhance Tridacna crocea coloration?

110oceanic

Non-member
My crocea isn't too colorful It has the hints of beauty but It has this brownish color to it if only the purple and blue would gain some vibe it could be a great looking clam. Is it possible to enhance the color of a clam? This is my first one.

This forum (Critters, Rock, Plats, Etc) is for selling items. If you just need tips on keeping these animals, you should post those types of threads out in Reef Talk.

I'll move it there now for you.
Don't worry about the cross-post. It happens.

Croceas need alot of light. Where is it positioned in relation to the bulb? Hig, low, off to the side, directly under? Are you water params in check? I know mine don't like alot of flow directed at them......

I have it at the bottom of the tank. direct light from the MH's mentioned above and water parameters are in check weekly water changes an not over stocked. I do feed phyto feast,chromo plex, phyto plex, and microvert.

110oceanic said:
I do feed phyto feast,chromo plex, phyto plex, and microvert.

Be careful with this stuff you can over do it and pollute your tank pretty easy. Besides if your clam is 3 inches or so it won?t use it. It needs light more than food.

A lot of clams look awesome when viewed down through the surface of the water. That?s why sellers photograph them that way. Some still look good from the side but some just don?t. I?m afraid that?s just the way it is. Lighting will change the look a little but not much.

Croceas need a TON of light, like orders of magnitude more than a derasa/squammy, and even a maxima.

How deep is your tank? These things generally should be up in the rocks..even with halides.

Is this enhanced enough?

Attachments

• 2003_0104pictures30045.JPG
    2003_0104pictures30045.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 136
Back