Dwarf angels with Tridacna Clams

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
I was reading some of my reef books at work researching reef tanks and I read that Dwarf angels can nip at Tridacna clams and cause them to close up and eventually die. Is this a guarantee or more like a maybe? Thanks.

Lol Cardiak. The dwarf angels have been kept with clams for a long time and I have ready more than one story after having them together for some years, the angel just one day decides to try it out. Who wouldn't right, I love clams and they're a delicacy! I just had an emperor angel decide to start takin chunks out of a toadstool for instance and now he/she doesn't do it anymore, personal preferance. But anyways its a possibilty.

I'd say it partly depends on the type of centropyge you're looking at, but from my personal experience, I've not had mine touch my clams, or any other coral for that matter, unless I've been lax with feeding them.

I generally am a heavy feeder, so I personally attribute their good behavior in my tank to being well fed.

BTW - I have a Potters and a Lemonpeel.

I was reading some of my reef books at work researching reef tanks and I read that Dwarf angels can nip at Tridacna clams and cause them to close up and eventually die. Is this a guarantee or more like a maybe? Thanks.

definitely a maybe. i currently have a flame angel in my 75g and in the 6months that i have had him he has not nipped at my maxxima or crocea.

that having been said, im sure his behaviour could change at any point in time. i have also kept a cherub angel with clams and have seen no nipping.

if you are getting a pygmy and have a mixed reef, stay away from the bicolor.

I have the half/black elibi dwarf angel... If it did start nipping I could just put him in my FOWLR tank but I'd like to keep it in the reef tank... I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for all the input...

angels

lemarks are supposed to be the most reef safe.
I have had coral baeuty's,flames,and a rusty that never touched a clam.
The lemark I have now never touches anything but I don't have clams at the moment.
but you never will know unless you try it,or not!

I just took the plunge tonight and bought a Flame Angel. I have had several before with good sucess. Hopefully this guy will follow suit. After working at a lfs I have found that they are truly hit or miss.

Back