Chemiclean treatment - skimmer going nuts

Bobbofin

Non-member
Had cyano so bit the bullet and treated with Chemiclean. Followed the instructions. Turned off skimmer and carbon reactor for 48 hours. Did 20% water change, turned carbon back on for a few hours then skimmer. Got gate valve all the way open and skimmer is still overflowing. Read some posts on RC the it may take another 20% water change and carbon change to get my skimmer to work again.

Sounds about right... I've had to use it a few times and remember it being a nightmare when turning back on the skimmer :p

Yup! sounds correct,if you can let the skimmer run it will catch up and stop overflowing in few hrs.From what I can/t remember.:D

I did this a few months ago. I had gotten cyano after starting up using biopellets. I tried water changes and less feeding for months with no improvement. I removed the pellets and treated with chemiclean. I have a euroreef skimmer and had to remove the output tube essentially having the output wide open near the base of the skimmer. I ended up doing 150g (about 60%) of water changes over about 4 days to get the skimmer to settle down to where it wasn't overflowing constantly.

It did work perfectly and I have not see any cyano since but what a pain!

I did this a few months ago. I had gotten cyano after starting up using biopellets. I tried water changes and less feeding for months with no improvement. I removed the pellets and treated with chemiclean. I have a euroreef skimmer and had to remove the output tube essentially having the output wide open near the base of the skimmer. I ended up doing 150g (about 60%) of water changes over about 4 days to get the skimmer to settle down to where it wasn't overflowing constantly.

It did work perfectly and I have not see any cyano since but what a pain!

Even with the gate valve all the way open it overflows the cup in about a minute. Gonna do another 20% water change, pack my carbon reactor full for several more days then give it another shot.

Even with the gate valve all the way open it overflows the cup in about a minute. Gonna do another 20% water change, pack my carbon reactor full for several more days then give it another shot.

Yup, I had the gate valve all the way open, that wasn't enough. I had to take all the piping off so there was just the elbow at the base of the skimmer where the gate valve would attach.

Back