Does chemiclean work on green cyano, too?

Chrissy

Non-member
I have been having a hard time getting rid of the green cyano that has been plaguing my 20H for a while now. I just bought some Chemiclean and dosed the tank with it. Does anyone know if it works on the green stuff? I have never used it before, but I figured I would try.

Yes it can help. Get some emerald crabs and hermits if you don't already have. Emeralds do a greaaaat job on the green stuff.

Thanks guys! I do have hermits, snails, and emerald, and nothing touches it. It's a slimy film just like cyano and spreads fast. I have also tried lights out for 3 days and a lettuce sea slug (found that in my candy cane's mouth, though). As of today, the chemiclean doesn't seem to be working yet.

It's still cyano,even if it's green.(blue/green algae)even though it's a bacteria.
It will work if you follow the directions closely.
Your skimmer should start foaming. And you'll need to do a water change.

First, pretty tank!

Do you clean your sand? How is it THAT white with no evidence of other "stuff" that would also grow from the same sources as Cyano? No brown algae, etc. I wish mine was that clean :) I've never seen cyano alone per say, usually accompanied by other nutrient related issues gone awry.

To me it seems there is something missing from the equation? Critters aren't going to help much with cyano. Shorter light cycles, lower nutrient load, suck it off the rocks with a turkey baster, water changes will help. Chemical solutions work, but I've found their results to be short lived in the past.

This stuff is like magic! LOL
After 3 days it was completely clean.

I assume the CUC eats any other bothersome algae, and I clean the glass all of the time because that does get brown or green film.
The sand...the tank was set up in January of this year bare bottom and has gone through a lot of changes. A few months ago, I swapped out my old 20H (seams were getting rough) with a brand new one. I did it all in a couple of hours, added new sand, transferred everything and kept all but 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket of the old water (to rinse the new sand). Everything survived and is still doing well. I have taken a lot of the grown out frags and put them in my RSM, so this one holds mostly frags and stuff my tangs eat in the RSM. There are only 2 small fish and tons of CUC, so there really isn't anything to gather in the sand, plus have an old Koralia 3 for flow so it blows that sand around, and the corners are bare! lol
Here it is as of today after the water change. Yay! No green stuff! I don't have a skimmer on it, just an Aqua clear 70 and the K3, so I'll just do a 5 gallon change every few days and it should be fine, I hope.

Last edited:
Back