Chronic Popeye?

Jason72

Non-member
Hi guys and gals,

Here's my stupid question of the day - can popeye be chronic? Here's the situation:

I have a chalk bass that developed popeye a few weeks ago. It cleared up on its own in a couple of days. A few days later he had it again (I figured the dumb-a$$ kept bumping into things). Then it cleared up.

This morning he has such a case of popeye that it's almost as big as his head. It's to the point that I just wish he'd lose the eye and be done with it.

Anyone have an idea or has seen this before? Do I just have a VERY clumsy fish?

Torn anemone... pop-eyed chalk... it's like the island of misfit toys over here... :D

Jason

I would suggest that you stop feeding spinach if you want to avoid popeye......yuk......yuk.
But seriously that's odd that just that fish gets popeye.It could have some sort of bacterial infection that keeps rearing it's ugly head once in a while.
If you could catch the little guy you could probably treat it in a hospital tank.

Thanks Bob - you've seen my tank. What do you think the odds are of catching him? lol

Maybe I'll ride this wave and see what happens to him....

I've never had to deal with that scourge since I got into SW tanks.(knock on wood).You might just have to do that as you're QT/Hos tank is full at the moment.Hopefully things will go back to normal on that bass.

and if not, well - it's a fish, not a child right? I'll do as right as I can... but I have to remind myself of that sometimes.....

Funny thing, I had a chalk bass that had constant pop-eye as well. I'd throw him into my QT and in a week he'd be better then after a week or 2 he'd get it again. Everything checked out in my tank, no other inhabitants got pop-eye and he wasn't being picked on by any other fish...

Pop eye is due to stress...Yes a fish can loose it's eye to it for sure!! Tyr & find the reason for the stress...Fish chasing him...parameters out of wack...etc..

HTH,
B

Yes actually that helps - I have a Bangaii that won't leave him alone (I thought they were supposed to be tough little guys those basslets??)

I rearranged some rocks last night - maybe that'll help the cardinal straighten out. If not, then the tang in QT right now will probbaly whipe him into shape when he gets in there!

Thanks - I dind't know stress could bring it out as well

Jason

Back