Clam help

Rentalcoot

Non-member
I don't know how to post pics on here. I purchased a ultra maxima from archit on Friday. I acclimated like he told me and placed in sandbed. Opened 1/2 way up. On Sunday wouldn't really open and I noticed it was in clowns territory. Moved it 1/3 up on tank. Still won't open up but attatched foot to rock and reacts to movement. All water parameters in normal limits. I have 54 gal corner with 120 watt led. It also has repositioned itself on rock

I figured that. I was hoping someone would explain it but emailing is fine too.

Just emailed them thanks again archit

I don't have a day photo but if you need one I can get one Tomm or later today. But the night photo I have is what the clam looks like during the day too

What else is in the tank for corals?
Can we get specific parameters?
What do you have for flow?

I'm no clam expert, so here are the pics:

rsz_shaneclam1.jpg

rsz_shaneclam2.jpg

Water parameters
pH- 8.2-8.4 depending on test
ALK-2.6 on Red Sea max test
Calcium-450-480
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate- 0-5

The corals I have
Pink and green zoa
Reverse hammer
Regular hammer
Yuma ricoderia
Rainbow bubble tip
Gorgonian
Octospawn
Torch coral

Mine looks the exact same thing and I got mine from Archit the same day. It's normal for clams to take some time before fully opening up. They went through a lot of stress going from the distributor, shipping, Archits house for a short amount of time, then your tank. If he was going to die he already most likely would have. Clams are sensitive when first introduced, they like stability. Give it a week or two. If he was staying shut all the time and his foot looked in bad condition then I would worried. Other than that he just needs some time to get use to the system. I have (2) 120 watt led panels also so our lighting is very similar.

did you take it out of the water to put it in your tank?

that second pic looks like the clam is closed and if it hasnt opened much more than the actinic pic shows then its definitely stressed out big time.

Last edited:
To WD. That makes me feel better. This is my first clam and don't want to lose it. I just saw other peoples clams and thought mine should open up by now.

To Steve. Yes it was taken out of water to place in my tank. I burped the clam as archit told me to do

Hopefully it's just taking it's time to destress. Make sure that there aren't any air bubbles in it, and try to leave it alone after that. Blue maximas are very sensitive to stress.

Tagging along because burping the clam sound interesting.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Back