Closed loops: what do you think?

What do you think of closed loops?

• Love 'em!

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Hate 'em (please discuss why)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I have no opinion on this matter

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • I don't know what a "closed loop" is. Somebody describe.

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Following a bit of discussion from another thread; what do you think of closed loops? Love 'em? Hate 'em? Would you install a closed loop if you got to do things over again?

I don't understand the need for a closed loop in a tank smaller than 100G.

My return from the sump feeds a SCWD and this provides enough flow in the tank.

For tanks above 120G I'd use Tunzes although their prices are salty.

not yet setup mine, but here is what will be setup.

the wavemaker is awesome just by the look that i got from OceansMotins.com and the pump is a sequence 5800, which can produce 5800gph @0 feet.

Attachments

• pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 288
  • wavemaker.jpg
    wavemaker.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 288
I have no opinion on this matter

I am curious too. I've been thinking of removing at least 3 of the 4 MJ1200 ph I have in my tank and maybe doing a MAg 9.5 on a SCWD or Seaswirls.
The Tunze seem very nice but more money than i want to spend right now, maybe when I go to a 6' tank someday.

I'm having a hard time deciding as well. The Tunze just seem huge to me. I want something less obvious in my tank. Plus they cost so much.

But since I do have a 6ft tank on order, I need something powerful. I also am not going to drill the back of the tank. I've at least finally made that decision :rolleyes:

Kim

There is a thread by over in the equipment section on Reef Central. Rio is coming out with a Tunze style power head with the low pressure high flow. It is still a Rio but looks like the pricing will be under $100. Sounds interesting. Maybe will get Tunse to lower pricing.

Kim,

If you have a dual overflow tank (most 6 feet tanks are), you could use one return to go to the sump and another one for the closed loop (going to a pump&SCWD back to the tank.)

Tunze "powerhead" that I bought was $130, pushes 1600gph. The controls are what are expensive. I'll take the Tunze over a RIO....does the RIO include a controller for a $100?

I was thinking of that Armando. I was also considering getting a large pump and pushing 2 scwds and using another large return pump and splitting the 2 returns into 4. Which would give me 4 constant flow and 4 alternating in the middle.

Pinkskunk I've been dying for someone from Boston to give me some first hand info on those Oceansmotions. They look very nice to me. Let us all know how they work out. Maybe you could even give a review for the BRS currents??

Is their word on when the 1" SCWDs are comming out?

the downside of using a return pump that is too strong is that it becomes difficult to stop the microbubbles from going to the tank.

I am planning on drilling my new tank for a closed loop. I am very happy with the one I have on my 55gal, which basically takes the place of powerheads. The more equipment I can get out of the tank, the better!

Matt:cool:

Scuba_Dave said:
Tunze "powerhead" that I bought was $130, pushes 1600gph. The controls are what are expensive. I'll take the Tunze over a RIO....does the RIO include a controller for a $100?

The Rio Seio 820 is about 45-55 bucks online, and pushes 800 gph (reportedly a bit more if you take off the housing it is in). Does not come with the controller. A very fair cost though I believe. They will also be coming out with a controller and a 2600 model in or around August. Both of those items will cost "under $100 dollars". IMO, though the Tunze is a nice product, it is a bit on the overly expensive side. The Seio is for the cheapskates like me, or for those with somewhat smaller tanks.

Armando said:
Matt any pics, diagrams?
Armando,

As a matter of fact, yes, I can take a picture or show a schematic of what the closed loop is like on my current tank.

Moreover, I was going to post asking for input and feedback on how I was planning the closed loop for my future tank.

I'll get back to you all as soon as I have a chance to draw up a good schematic,

Matt:cool:

Back