Question for you big tank owners with closed loops

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
I am in the beginning stages of my next system and am in the process of modeling it up.
The tank is going to be about 6'(long) x 3-4'(deep) x 28-30" (tall). Also, an external overflow the whole length.

I like the idea of closed loops and I know a lot of you guys have them, some of you even have them through the floor of the tank. I am trying to think of every possible situation and having a bulkhead leaking on the bottom of the tank or low down on the back wall I'm afraid would give me a LOT of sleepless nights.

I would like to know what the back-up plans of you guys with this happening?Also, what are the pro/cons of closed loops? other than flow or course.

I also am planning Ocean Motion 4or8 way coming up he back center of the tank feeding rotating heads to randomize the tanks flow. I really don't want any powerheads at all in the tank.

whatch think?

Just did the reef calculator over at RC and it's about 418 gallon with the 4' depth and 314 gallons at 3' depth.

i dont have a big tank..but i read alot

pros
no powerheads..real clean look

cons
electricity draw..most large pumps that people use on big system pull alot more then say a few vortechs

i dont think there are any real precautions to leaks other than alarms on a controller..i know some do have alarms but im not sure which ones

i would def go with a 4 or 8 way..if i go CL on my 125 ima have a 4way

I'm running an OM-4 way on my 210. Standard AGA RR tank. I went over the top. One 2" intake in each rear corner feeding a Reefdart directly under the center of the tank. The four 1" returns are in each corner. Every things encrusted in coralline and kind of blends in. I get pretty good flow and it's pretty quiet but not silent. The biggest down side it the cost of the electricity to run a big pump.

I'm running an OM-4 way on my 210. Standard AGA RR tank. I went over the top. One 2" intake in each rear corner feeding a Reefdart directly under the center of the tank. The four 1" returns are in each corner. Every things encrusted in coralline and kind of blends in. I get pretty good flow and it's pretty quiet but not silent. The biggest down side it the cost of the electricity to run a big pump.

Yea that sounds like how I'll probably do it pretty much. I will probably get a ReeFlo or even a couple of Iwaki's something. I need to get the tank figured the way I want it first.

Darts would serve you better I think in this application, no need for pressure rated equipment, you are looking for high volume at low pressure.

Although the initial cost is higher i would rather use vortechs or tunzes these days. Closed loops are going to kill you on the electric.
One idea to consider if you are set on closed loops is to use 2 pumps.
You have your main pump that runs during the day,you then switch that off with a timer at night and run a very small pump during the night.
This cuts down on your consumption and allows corals some feeding time.

Although the initial cost is higher i would rather use vortechs or tunzes these days. Closed loops are going to kill you on the electric.
One idea to consider if you are set on closed loops is to use 2 pumps.
You have your main pump that runs during the day,you then switch that off with a timer at night and run a very small pump during the night.
This cuts down on your consumption and allows corals some feeding time.

That's not a bad idea Liam, after talking to Dave here today I may stick with doing no closed loop at all and just let a return feed the ocean motion. Going with 2-3 vortechs on a controller would be better for me. Dave mentioned you hid them with the rockwork in your tank Liam, any pictures of this?

Also Mr. McReeferson mentioned just going for a 36" deep instead of the 48" due to being an inwall.

That's not a bad idea Liam, after talking to Dave here today I may stick with doing no closed loop at all and just let a return feed the ocean motion. Going with 2-3 vortechs on a controller would be better for me. Dave mentioned you hid them with the rockwork in your tank Liam, any pictures of this?

they are so well hidden all you would see in the pics are rocks:D
Seriously though i would have to get at such an angle from the front the pic would not come out.
I just had some surgery and am not walking right now once i get a bit more mobile i can take a pic from behind the tank for you,just give me a reminder in case i forget

they are so well hidden all you would see in the pics are rocks:D
Seriously though i would have to get at such an angle from the front the pic would not come out.
I just had some surgery and am not walking right now once i get a bit more mobile i can take a pic from behind the tank for you,just give me a reminder in case i forget

Will do, get well soon!!

I decided to go with the CL and the 4 way. I have all pipes going up over the wall end of the tank. I have 3 holes on the bottom of the tank that feed the dart in the basement. I have salt creep on 4 of my six holes (3 for the overflow and 3 for the CL) on the bottom of the tank -- just discovered them. Will tighten and then live with whatever salt creep remains keeping a watchful eye of course. It is viewable from 3 sides so my priority was no visible pumps or pipes except at the wall end. I absolutely love the look and the fact that I have no small pumps that require cleaning. I just ignore the electric bill. As I still have two tanks running I am not sure what the increase has been. I have 3 big pumps running. Not to mention 1200 watts of heaters between the two tanks....of course Decembers electric bill was a lot cheaper given 11 days without power.

I used to do that as well, until it hit 670 in one billing cycle. I just can't ignore it any more....

Holy cow! 670???? I am at $400 running two tanks and the house. But I don't have MH -- just run T5's so that may make a big difference.

I like the idea of those spa jets. I bought some nozzles from Oceans Motions but they are kind of hard to get going in the direction I want. I may play with those.

I shut my closed loop off at 11pm and it comes back on at 8am. I have had no problems with it thus far. I am running a 165 watt pump that is 1200 GPH but plan on changing it over to a snapper pump 2400 GPH at 98 watts

what did you have for surgery Liam.....hope you feel better

Back