Collecting Amphipods

PSU4ME

BRS Member
I was wondering if anyone knows a spot. I have a guy on another forum who goes to tidal areas on long island and collects literally thousands and thousands of pods......I ask him to send me some and he says better to go get your own!

Anyone know of areas around here to do that? Seems simple to do but i'm not sure if there are any problems doing it.

Thanks.

I get mine from Nahant boat dock at low tide. It can be hit or miss but always get a few hundred at least.

I get mine from Nahant boat dock at low tide. It can be hit or miss but always get a few hundred at least.

What's your process for collection? Do you worry about introducing any pollutants from the water into your tank?

I was pulling lobster traps with my dad all day on sunday. The gunwale was full of tiny life! I thought about collecting some, but wasnt sure how safe the waters were (pollutants, etc)

Thanks guys. I was reading an article on RC that talked about collecting them from the beach which some of you have mentioned. Some people are concerned about parasites but i'm not sure.

A question though, places like Reefs2go and getyourpods.com.........do you think they grow their pods or collect them in a similar manner?

plus another thing you seem to miss, native marine life will not live in the temps of our marine tanks long term.

plus another thing you seem to miss, native marine life will not live in the temps of our marine tanks long term.

Understood, i'm using them more as food and in a grow out tank that is room temp, around 68 in my basement. Just looking to experiment.

i have been feeding the local Nahant PODs for over a year, they are swimming and not on the bottom and aren't flat. So go for it. I have some of the fattest fish you will ever see. OH I even use local sea water lol.

i have been feeding the local Nahant PODs for over a year, they are swimming and not on the bottom and aren't flat. So go for it. I have some of the fattest fish you will ever see. OH I even use local sea water lol.

Maybe I'll meet up with you one weekend and we can go "podding"!

Thanks guys. I was reading an article on RC that talked about collecting them from the beach which some of you have mentioned. Some people are concerned about parasites but i'm not sure.

A question though, places like Reefs2go and getyourpods.com.........do you think they grow their pods or collect them in a similar manner?

I don't remember which place but one location specifically stated they theirs are aquacultured. Might have been on ebay. I have been looking since I need to get some soon too.

considering that those pods have no issues growing in the puddles on the rocks at Cathedral in Rockport I would be surprised if anything under 90F would pose any challenge to them - those puddles get quite scalding on a sunny day and in most cases have high variations in salinity as well - sea spray, rainfall, evaporation, ....

Back