Collecting micro life

Turbosnail

Non-member
I am trying to figure out the best way to collect some of the micro life in my old tank. There haven't been any fish in the tank for a little while so there is a huge build up of pods, baby brine shrimp, brittle stars, the little white stars, baby mysis etc......
Does anybody know how or what is the best way to get them to concentrate in one area
so I can catch as many as I can?

suck the water out through a filter sock? I find that any time I clean mine out it is pod central!

Doesnt do much for the stars? but still in the water column it will work for

I heard people use rock rubbles to build "pod hotel" and then collect the rubbles.

Let the lights go out, wait for an hour, then with a flashlight hunt down clusters of them with a turkey baster.

Drop a sponge in. In a few days it will be crawling with pods. Strain it out in the new tank and repeat.

I made a bristle worm trap, Used it last night. got 7 bristle worms and 5 nice size pods... Take a piece of PVC cap off the ends, drill a bunch of different size holes, put a wire tie on one end to use as a Handel. Put food in and drop it into a spot near the rocks.. I need to put more holes in mine, I have 1 big monster I want out.

I made a bristle worm trap, Used it last night. got 7 bristle worms and 5 nice size pods... Take a piece of PVC cap off the ends, drill a bunch of different size holes, put a wire tie on one end to use as a Handel. Put food in and drop it into a spot near the rocks.. I need to put more holes in mine, I have 1 big monster I want out.

I just used some cheato and transferred it back and forth it worked great. The old tank is gone now so someone else has all of the rest.

Don't forget about turning off the filters and seeing what swims to the top of the tank. I was amazed the first time I saw micro sized jelly fish swimming at the top of my tank. They are about 1mm have a bell and no tentacles. Some tiny pods also swim to the top.

Back