considered tank breakdown...

tigerslacrosse4

Reef Addict
I had considered a breakdown but I changed my mind and now I'm looking for some skimmer and other advise. I plan to get an in sump skimmer on a 18 year olds part time job wage for my budget. I just need some advise on which skimmer works best etc and return pumps. tanks a 10 gallon and if there is anything i missed thats important let me know ill fill in the gaps

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Save your money and just do regular water changes. You DO NOT need a skimmer on a 10 gallon! Spend your money on a RO/DI unit so you have water available for those water changes.

I tend to disagree. A Bak-Pak skimmer would work awesome. I use one on my 20g and it works great. Sucks up a ton of junk daily.

I feel like I'm getting a lot of nitrates from that hob filter I have and if I remove it I fear I won't have the proper fultration on the tank to get the job done was considering a big sump and a beast skimmer to keep it down to just simply topping off and a waterchange ever other week but at the moment seems impossable. I need to get cracking on this stand I've been putting it off because I really don't know what I want for this thing and that seems to be a problem I think I might go pick up some 2x4s and start to build a frame and take it from there if I do get all that equipment I will be moving the tank to my living room for everyone to enjoy! This is going to take some time and money that I need to just bite the bullet and spend. I will be getting an RODI soon as well

I honestly don't see the need for a skimmer. I did regular water changes on my 155bow and didn't run a skimmer for over a year. I run one now and do less water changes and IMO don't see a difference.

If you can get one get one but IMO not a priority.

feed conservatively and only keep a bioload suitable for a 10g and you won't need a skimmer. I run two aquaclear 30's with filter floss/rubble, a koralia nano, and a 25% water change every 10-15 days

With a ten gal I also do not see the need for a skimmer. Heck my 75 gal reef tank does not have a skimmer yet and it is healthy. I would just do regular water changes.

I don't think I have a bio load if I do with the pistol shirmp its very small I want to up my water volume and see if I can get a large fuge in there and I think I need to get a different power filter because I don't have much room to add rubble and such because I run my carbon bag and foam filter in there I'm looking into RODI units tonight and. I plan on buying one in weeks to come the stand is top of the list right now I want the tank out of my bed room

Back