Coralife Digital Power Centers

steve214989

Non-member
Wow. These digital timer power stips make me wanna set myself on fire while shooting myself in the face. The above seems much less painful than trying to set these up. Anyone share my pain?

Wow. These digital timer power stips make me wanna set myself on fire while shooting myself in the face. The above seems much less painful than trying to set these up. Anyone share my pain?

they freakin suck.. i share your pain.. heck pass the gun.. i use the double coralife manual ones where you pull the pins up.. petsmart has them for like 35 bucks or something.. soooo much easier than those digital nightmares..

coralife timers

Great, Now while wanting to off myself im worrying about my house burning down from a timer that isnt even set right. wtf. this sucks. returning it tomorrow and going with the old fashioned tin type. At least its common sense with pins and not a mystrery electronic nightmare. lol.

Better to worry now than to make a homeowner's insurance claim later, right :)

FWIW I may have been wrong about that exact corallife power strip / timer being the one that catches fire, but there is one out there.

Do some googling and check it out for yourself, don't take my word on it.

Try;
"coralife fire"

and go from there :)

I ran one of those for a while until I noticed it starting to melt. As mentioned above, they're notorious for catching on fire and in some instances even burning down houses.

I invested in the heavy duty Intermatic outdoor timers sold at Lowes/HD and haven't looked back. They're a bit expensive @ $50+ each, but they're made to handle the amperage for lights etc.

It was much more pain when it actually caught fire while I was hundreds of miles away waiting out a flight delay in Chicago.

Aren't they also known for catching fire?

what John said ;)

Mine started making clicking noises about 6 months after I bought it. I was afraid of it catching fire so I stopped using it.

What I **wish** I had said :cool:

Hey steven?

Have you ever had one of those poop out on you? I had two die at about the 4 yr mark. (but I bought new ones as they are the only timers that
DON'T MELT, IME )

Hey steven?

Have you ever had one of those poop out on you? I had two die at about the 4 yr mark. (but I bought new ones as they are the only timers that
DON'T MELT, IME )

John, I bought those timers based on your recommendation. I've been running x2 for a couple years with no problems, but I did see your thread about them failing on you. What exactly happened? I can't imagine the relay would burn out as they're rated for 40 amps. Must be something mechanical? :confused:

At the end of the day, I figured I'd rather have one "poop out" quietly as opposed to catching on fire like the Coralife's are so famous for.

On a side note, I ran the Intermatic digital timers for while until I noticed burn marks appearing on the plastic housing :eek:

They just stopped switching. No fire or short circuit, just no switching. Manually switching the sliver lever worked fine to turn on and off, but the timer just stopped switching, though it did keep turning.

I guess 4 yrs is an OK lifespan for just about anything, but I was a little bummed that a $50 timer would at only 4 yrs or $12.50/yr. Sorry if I steered you wrong before, but I don't know of a better suggestion????

291379.jpg

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Odyssey-LC08-8-Channel-Controller?sku=804545
here is a power strip with individual switches for each AC outlet.. its alot cheaper and they are fairly durable. i used to use them to control DJ lights before I upgraded to computerized lighting. I have posted here on the boards about them and people have responded positvely.

Yeah I purchased one of the POS timer strips and returned in within a week. I think I actually figured it out then realized it sucked even more than when I didn't know how to work it so got rid of it. I like the normal powerstrips with timers in them... works fine for me!

John, you didn't steer me wrong. I love those timers, and if they fail after 4 yrs I'll buy them again.

Had a digital it worked for a while then sucked. Now I have a heavy duty one standard timer. Works so far. :)

I went through 3 of the digital and one non-digital over a 2 year period. The timers all crapped out. I saw one catch on fire at an LFS while I was there. They had to evacuate the place! :eek:

This is the one Steven and I were talking about.

They cost about $50 and IME seem to last about 4 yrs. These are the ones that DON'T CATCH FIRE :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't there a big thread on RC a while back about a house fire that was caused by a Coralife timer?

Wasn't there a big thread on RC a while back about a house fire that was caused by a Coralife timer?

More like numerous threads like that. Those timers have been catching fire for years, but coralife keeps on selling them.......

Back