Coralife Digital Power Centers

I have owned three Coralife Power Strips units. Two were the digital and both cooked to the point that I could hear and smell them burning. They were mounted in a very clean place an were less then a few weeks old. After the two digitals burnt out, I exchanged them for a different model, That has a bulit in manual set timer. Seem to be worrking well for the last year.

::Look at this poor guys tank and house::

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=584645

I had a fire in my house. The fire investigator said the power strip which was the coralife power center started the fire. The aquarium eventually melted and put out the fire.

We were not home at the time. We live out in the country and our neighbor's are too far from us to notice if there was a fire until it was too late. Also, it took the volunteer fire department 30-40 minutes to get there.

We would have lost everything if the aquarium wouldn't have put the fire out.

Attachments

• 74275House_Fire_Resize.jpg
    74275House_Fire_Resize.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 74275House_Fire_Resize2.jpg
    74275House_Fire_Resize2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 130
  • 74275House_Fire_Resize3.jpg
    74275House_Fire_Resize3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 74275House_Fire_Resize4.jpg
    74275House_Fire_Resize4.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 131
Wow, those pics are worth a thousand words (and many thousand dollars)

Does anyone know if the Zilla power centers are basically re-named Coralife ones? They look pretty similar . . .

wow
So I have 2 of these and it took forever to figureout how to program

Do they not work to the rated current?

thanks Frank

I have one of the digital versions. Had it up for about a year now. Never had an issue with it. This thread has me nervous because it's in my office at work and I travel a fair amount. But, I have a very small draw on it. Its a nano so just a single 250Wmh balast, an alternative flourescent fuge light, and a Koralia nano.

Last edited:
I'm confused now. Is it the digital ones that catch fire or the manual pin ones that catch fire. I bought the manual one three weeks ago.

IIRC there have been fire issues with both styles. The problem lies in the cheapo construction of the power strips themselves (I think).

Back