Cycling tank question

CrazyFishPeople

Non-member
New to saltwater. Have a person pretty much walking me thru as I go. Had my tank up and running for 8 days old, so he told me to toss a fish or two in to get the cycle going. Which I ended up tossing in two fish seeming I didnt want one being alone.

On day seven last night was helping someone with a tank who is fairly new himself to this. Ended up finding a couple dead fish in his rock... So ended up draining the water. One thing lead to another poor planning on his part lead to him not having enough water for where he ended up being at. So was to late to go to a store to see if they would hold the fish. So pretty much I ended up with 7 of his fish, a frag, two corals and a large clam.

So being told my tank is gonna end up most likely crashing, which is why I want to get all these fish out of my tank and in a established tank. Would that be the thing to do?

And for future referance how often should you feed your fish in a reef tank?

Do you know anyone local to you that can keep the livestock while your system cycles, which it inherently will especially with the addition of a bioload right out of the gate? A system needs to run at least 3-4 weeks before it can handle any additions. There's quite a few ammonia neutralizing products out there, as well as bacteria in a bottle (which has been proven to work, but cannot create the exact conditions you tank and inhabitants will require to survive) that can help
move things along in a pinch. Best bet is take it slow and let the tank run it's course naturally.

You will have more to worry about over the next 48 hours than feeding your fish. Either get them to an established system, or be sure to have plenty of freshly mixed saltwater on hand to keep up with water changes until your parameters stabilize.

Yeah feeding wasn't to worried about that. Just the kid whose fish I ended up with keep telling I need to feed them twice a day which I think is just insane. Keep trying to drill the idea of a reed tank is not about the fish. Fish in the tank need to work the tank.

Yeah thats pretty much where I'm at. Should I off load the two fish I just put in to get the cycle going also? Or would they be fine inside the tank?

The water problem can be solve very fast. If he/she do not have water from the LFS to mix with salt, distilled water from the supermarket or CVS pharmacy can be used. Or Petco sells ocean water, its not cheap, but could be more expensive losing the fish (well depends on the fish).

Moreover, when the tank is cycling and algae start to be seen all around (green and brown) add a cleaner crew of snails and hermit crabs. In the future the crabs will eat a dead fish, if you can not take it out. Serpent starts are good too.

On top of the suggestion of adding bacteria in a liquid form (it can be find in the local fish store or Pecto) you can add a live rock. The live rock will help with your new tank cycle and the extra fish too.

Last edited:
Yeah was trying my best to do it all right my first time. Have 50 lbs of live rock in my 70G to get it started.

Fish are a friends i only have two clown fish that were given to me in their. Which I was gonna let cycle with them and just wait a couple months before i added anything more than live rock. Now I got 2 extra clowns / Some pink cucumber/ sea ras or whatever its called, watchman goby I think large clam, a frag, a leather some hard coral and a soft tree looking coral.

I have an RO/DI, I have salt. Gonna grab a trash can of some sort tomorrow to start making water. I plan on getting rid of everything except the clowns tomorrow jus trying to figure out what kinda mess I have guess created unintentionally.

No Mess just a heavy cycle just get most fish out your clowns can stay. and don't be feeding twice a day.Please bring to a lps or post asap they are not happy... i probable would not do a water change... most lps stores give credit so u can buy what u want later....depending on condition..

Back