Ques. (Daily Question?) What is your pre-snowstorm plan for your reef tank?

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member
Tell us all what you do to make sure you are ready for the next epic snow storm. Things you have found are a sure thing to have and what did not work as well as you thought it would.

I myself check fuel and oil in generator, start it up, plug it into the house and test transfer switch for proper operation. I check my generator quarterly also as you never know when that unexpected outage rears its ugly face. I also make sure to use fuel stabilizer in my generator fuel, I really like the air bubbler you plug in and when you lose power they will automatically come on. I have one set up with an air stone in the tank all the time. We all know we only lose power when we are not home. I change the batteries 2X a year when I do my smoke detectors to make sure they are always fresh.

Sooo! What do you do?

Sounds like you have a great plan.

I started the snowblower and generator yesterday, I try to do this once a quarter as well, it's been a little longer for the snowblower and it took some work to get her running smoothly. I used to live in a condo in Boston and couldn't have a generator, I lost a tank of SPS and all but two fish when we had an outage without any heating plan. I'm so glad I have a generator now, haven't had to use it YET, but it's great piece of mind! In the summer I try to make some extra bags of bags to use in the tank to keep it cool if necessary.

I ran to the store and got all the eggs i can get,
Bread and milk, and 2 cases of water,
Oh Yeah i then ran my extension cord under the ground to my neighbor's shed without him knowing
He has a Generator in his shed,
we are good to go!

Last edited:
Got the genny sitting near by with plenty of gas, looking like 6-10 here which isn't terrible but the infrastructure in EB sucks, so there's that. Thankfully it's not as bad as where @this is me lives.

Did a test on house generator and works great have back up generator in garage if needed. Gonna feed the fish now and have a beer no school tomorrow for the kids but I will be plowing most of the day.

Back