dKH going up, up, up

SeaMaster

Non-member
Hi all,
I'm hoping you have some advice. My dKH is up to 12.1 from 9.2 a week or two ago and still seems to be going up. Other parameters are good... so what's up with that?
My salt mix isn't that high as some are, but I am running a calcium reactor and recently reduced the Magnesium and increased the output. Could that be causing it? Should I be concerned? I know some people run their tanks with very high Alk but I don't want to stress out my tank with it going up to fast or too high.
Thanks

12 dhk is very high, in fact it is dangerous to some acropora.
I think dial down the calcium reactor should do the trick to drop Alk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 dhk is very high, in fact it is dangerous to some acropora.
I think dial down the calcium reactor should do the trick to drop Alk.

Thanks dz6t,
Doing a 20% water change and have already dialed back the reactor.
Thanks again for your help.

You are welcome.
I keep dkh at 8.5 to 9.

If you have less than 100 gallons total in your system running a calcium reactor can be very tricky . And I wouldn't recommend it . I have done it using a coke palmer feed pump and set it for a drip every 2 seconds and a ph of 6.9 in reactor. But it is just as cost effective to dose. Systems over 100 using a reactor is the way to go

Thanks reefstarter,
I had a successful small reef several years ago with a reactor... beginners luck probably. My system now has a total volume of about 135gal and I am comfortable with monitoring the reactor. At least I am not willing to give up on it yet. I just need to slow down, dial it down and be happy with 420 (it was dialed up too high for sure). Your numbers are helpful, thanks again!

Hi all,
I am running a calcium reactor and recently reduced the Magnesium and increased the output. Could that be causing it? Should I be concerned?
Thanks
This statement is a little scary if you are running a calcium reavcotr. If you increase the output and the PH is birng maintained at the same level as before then alk and calcium will go up. If you also raised pH when you raised the output then tank parameters may or may not stay the same. Make sure you understand the basics of how reactors work when using one or bad things can happen.

Increasing the output without adjusting the pH in the reactor will absolutely cause the dkh to go up. I also run a reactor on a small system although a little tricky to get set up properly, not impossible.

Increasing the output without adjusting the pH in the reactor will absolutely cause the dkh to go up. I also run a reactor on a small system although a little tricky to get set up properly, not impossible.

Thanks Mr. Leemer, I appreciate your taking the time to comment... All is well, and the reactor is dialed in pretty good now. PH has never been a problem, always steady at 7.9, a little low but that seems to be normal for my tank and I don't chase the numbers. As you know, stability is most important and I am not opposed to running my alkalinity on the high side. Thanks again.

Back