Do you feed Live Brine?

I havent yet, but hae been thinking about hatching some, from what I have read you do not feed them for the first 12 hours and they are a very small size to feed to baby fish.

after 12 hours you need to feed them,

I was almost weekly for a while... using the little disc hatchery. Actually have a batch going right now. I think they're an awesome treat, just strain them out of that nasty hatchery water first. Adult clown feeds on them and I'm guessing corals like it... I have raised to adults before using just bottled phyto. Fish act like it's crack or something... get VERY excited.

My imput is likely going to be shy of useless, but i gernerally dont feed live brine. I'd buy it from Skipons, feed a couple to my Sun corals, but since they squirm around, they make all the polyps open, and i end up not feeding them and they all die. Oh yeah, i dont have and fish that can eat brine.

I'm not positive but heard that bbs more than 24 hrs old have very little nutritional value, but if you feed them phyto they get the good stuff in them - EFA's. I have heard that our wet pets - fish and inverts, are usually deficient in fatty acids, as they will only get them through phyto that is in a zooplanktors gut...

Yup, I feed my tank live brine shrimp. I usually have some going, at different stages. I raise them in greenwater- phyto culture- so their nutritional value s higher. I know that some people don't like brine shrimp, calling them the equivalent of potato chips, but the nutritional profile on them is actually pretty good. Not as good as copepods, but still good.

Feeding the brine shrimp selcon before feeding them to your tank also raises their nutritional value. Another good point is that,as someone already pointed out, fish go nuts for them- they can be invaluable in getting finicky fish to eat. When I first got my male scooter "blenny" (they're actually dragonets, related to mandarins), he was very skinny, and didn't seem to be fattening up off of the tank zooplankton or pellet food, so I fed him brine shrimp- I'd strain out a whole bunch, them put them in a glass jar. I'd place the jar on the sand, with the open end angled down towards the sand (to keep the brine shrimp in- they'd gather at the top corner to try to get closer to the light), and he could scoot in there and snarf them down. I was also able to train him to take flake and pellet food this way- I'd add a bit to the jar with the brine shrimp, and he figured out that it's food, even if it isn't moving.

He's now the fattest scooter I've ever seen, with brilliant colors. :D

Her's a good article discussing them.

Back