Do you use an Aquarium Controller? Discussion Below.

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
@BRS Member,

• Do you own a controller for your system? If so, what brand do you own?
  • What was the deciding factor on purchasing it?
  • If you do not own one, what's keeping you from pulling the plug on purchasing one?
  • What are some of your favorite features about the controller that you own?
  • Are there any things that you don't like about your controller and have you experienced any issues lately.

I'll start this one off. I own a GHL Profilux P4 with 3 power bars, a GHL Doser 2.1 four head unit. I had the GHL KH Director and sold it after getting a big Geo's Reef Calcium Reactor. I'd like to purchase the KH Director again just for piece of mind along with the new 2.2 Maxi Doser to help with my kalk reactor. Someday when i have some extra money, I'll be making the purchase.
The deciding factor on my purchase was that I witnessed quite a few people having issues with other brands, not to be named and the serious SPS keepers in Europe and elsewhere all ran GHL so that was my decision.

I like the fact that I can have access to my system anywhere in the world and monitoring features sent to either my cell phone via email or SMS.
  • What shortcomings have you experienced with your controller? Any recent issues?
I haven't had any real issues ever with this device and recommend them to many hobbyists. I grew up in time where all things being engineered in Germany were superior products and this is the reason why I chose GHL.

Would love to hear your thought below:)

I don’t. Because of my unique situations.

1. I don’t feel comfortable to put all eggs in one basket and I have seen enough failures. However I do have an Apex in the closet, and it will stay there for now. I also have a set of RIP DA controller in the closet as well. (Edit: the reason I have these controllers is: they were fashionable then and I had metal halide and the temperature was a concern.)

2, There are plenty of automation available already, such as lights, dosing pumps, ATO, wireless temperature controllers etc.

3. I can see a lot of benefits for controllers for people who travel a lot.

4. Controllers are a life style, there is no right or wrong for them. It is a hobby so toys are always welcome.

5, If I decide to go into coral spawning, a controller is a must.

After all, right now just like the late Jake Adams said “I am the controller”.

Last edited:
I don’t because of cost and my overly optimistic nature to think I can DIY everything.

Currently I use cheap WiFi plugs with the SmartLife app and Alexa integration. “Alexa, turn off the wavemakers!” Works every time. I do miss the monitoring aspect but I am looking at implementing ReefPi someday.

Those inexpensive wifi plugs are wonderful, for $6 to $7 each, you can use them to control fish feeder, skimmer, return pump etc. By the way, many DC skimmers and return pumps are equipped with safety float switches.

Last edited:
For pH control, if you really want to do it, there are dedicated wifi pH monitor and controller available for less than a $90. These come with pH probes and ORP probes too.
Also if one of the wifi controllers fail, you only loose one function and only need to replace one failed device.

For controller, reliability is the highest priority. That is why I agree with Paul’s choice.
Since I am working with many hobbyists so I am able to get real life data instead of relying on those online “reviews”. Reliability is something some brand does not cut it.

I now have the GHL controller and a doser…..but my tank is 90% softies….would it benefit to get an KH director?

Those inexpensive wifi plugs are wonderful, for $6 to $7 each, you can use them to control fish feeder, skimmer, return pump etc. By the way, many DC skimmers and return pumps are equipped with safety float switches.
Yeah, I have one for each piece of equipment. I can even turn the cabinet light on/off remotely to better monitor status visually with a WiFi camera.
I also use the WiFi InkBird heater controller which lets me see the temp on the phone too.

The only problem with the WiFi plugs is the round size is just a bit too big to fit next to each other on a power strip, so I have to use short pig-tail extension cords. I can hide them behind the cabinet, but not a clean look.

Yes, soft coral does consume alkalinity.
Because alkalinity not only needed for hard coral to build skeletons, it is also needed for all coral to grow their flesh (as a major source of carbon intake).
When we are here, according to the current scientific research, coral do consume more alkalinity than calcium.

• Yes, I own an Apex
    • Ability to monitor and control remotely
  • If you do not own one, what's keeping you from pulling the plug on purchasing one?
    • N/A
    • The trident testing daily which allows me to monitor and maintain the most important levels of reef keeping with a glance at my phone.
  • Are there any things that you don't like about your controller and have you experienced any issues lately?
    • All the wires :)

IMO, It's THE BEST THING you could do for your reef tank. Ive been in and out of this hobby for over 20 years and I've owned a few controllers over the years but these new models are so far advanced from the old controllers that were glorified timers. When something goes wrong and you get an alert on your phone, 100 miles away, you can actually take action to save the 1000s of dollars of livestock you have never mind avoiding the possible damage to your home. For me, I wouldn't keep a reef tank without a quality controller going forward. Life is so much easier with one that it's not only a detriment to the animals but to my mental health.

Last edited:
    • Yes, I own an Apex
    • Ability to monitor and control remotely
    • N/A
    • The trident testing daily which allows me to monitor and maintain the most important levels of reef keeping with a glance at my phone.
  • Are there any things that you don't like about your controller and have you experienced any issues lately?
    • All the wires :)

It's THE BEST THING you could do for your reef tank. Ive been in and out of this hobby for over 20 years and I've owned a few controllers over the years but these new models are so far advanced from the old controllers that were glorified timers. When something goes wrong and you get an alert on your phone, 100 miles away, you can actually take action to save the 1000s of dollars of livestock you have never mind avoiding the possible damage to your home. For me, I wouldn't keep a reef tank without a quality controller going forward. Life is so much easier with one that it's not only a detriment to the animals but to my mental health.
Indeed the alerts are very useful.

Apex
It was the only one available at the time. Been using it since it was called the Aquacontroller
If I didn't own one and had to purchase one now for the first time I would buy an Apex. I'm just a nerd. Im not a fan of the apps like the mobius and reef beat. GHL is solidly made just not a fan of the UI.
Monitors my tanks parameters
Less weekly testing
I can check on my tank from anywhere in the world
I can fix or delay a catastrophe remotely
I can geek out with fellow control freaks
Keeps my hands out of the water
  • Are there any things that you don't like about your controller and have you experienced any issues lately.
The modules (Lights, Trident, wav pumps) feel cheaply made and expensive
Salinity meter should be better
Trident could feel better... for the price it should be more solid. Altho I do love my trident and what it does. Just not a fan of how cheap it feels and how finicky it can be.
Wish the EB32 could handle more load.

I own a GHL profilux 2x 2.1 dosers 2x mitras and use a alkatronic.

I had a very bad incident with a competitors controller and didn’t trust it anymore.

N/A

I like having it so I can travel and keep in touch with the tank but mostly to keep track of trends. Also like this one over the other because I don’t need a module for every other thing I plug into it.
It’s a little more complicated to setup though they seam to have fixed that now.

Fish splash and accidents happen. Do you own a controller for your system? If so, what brand do you own?
Neptune Apex
What was the deciding factor on purchasing it?
Automation and alerts

What are some of your favorite features about the controller that you own?
Push button to feed. Automatically turn off skimmer and return and automatically turn on after set minutes.
Power outage notification.

Are there any things that you don't like about your controller and have you experienced any issues lately.
EB832 bar failures. Additional expense to replace with EB8 and EB4.

Back