Dwarf angels kept in same tank

Peter Fernandes

ignorance is strength
Does anyone keep a flame angel with a coral beauty in the same tank? I recently aquired a coral beauty and was considering giving him a shot in my 72 bowfront with my flame angel. Flame angel isn't aggresive and I want it to stay that way. Plenty of rock in my tank for hiding. Opinions?

Thanks reefers

I wouldn't. Same species with same body size and shape with similar markings - and in a 70 gallon - too risky IMO. I do have a CBA and a Flameback in a 125 gallon which live peacefully together so you can combine angels, just take caution on which ones you put together.

I think the flame would kick the crap outta the coral beauty.

Just my opinion.......though.

There was that Swedish guy on RC who had a tank full of Flames, like 15 of them in a 120. (something like that )

It was wild to see pictures and they all got along....but I think with only two in a smaller tank the dominant one would be able to concentrate agression and kill the other fairly quickly.

Last edited:
I am currently keeping a Flame Angel with a Lemonpeel Angel. They get along great, swim all over the place together in a 29g. Before the Lemonpeel, we had a Coral Beauty with the Flame and they too got along great. I will say this though, our Flame Angel was a wee baby when we got him. I think it made him feel safe to follow the larger fish around.

Bottom line - you never know. I had a regal angel and goldflake together in my reef for quite some time. Last birthday my daughters bought me a 6 inch french angel. I decided that their feelings were more important than the tanks equilibrium and put the french angel in. All three angels (in a 140 sps only) have been doing great for the past several months. No real fighting and they all share the tank without established territories. But if things change, my kids will be back to college in September and there's a nice big fuge downstairs waiting for a bad actor.

If you love the fish then go for it, knowing that you might have to change plans. JMO

I keep a Flame and a coral beauty, the coral beauty was introduced after the flame was in for 2 weeks. The flame chased the coral beauty a bit at first but now their fine. Alot of people have done it with the same success. Its been almost a year now. jmho

Hi,
I have a Flame, Half Black, Coral Beauty, Regal, Potters, an pygmy in my 210 all introduced in the first 8months.. the Regal was last.... Every time i put one in i completly moved the rock around to something different.. Funny thing is the angels don't chase each other but the Regal angel occasionaly chases my Butterfly.
So i think i have been lucky.. and i think changed the rockwork makes everyone pick a new zone..
good luck!

FWIW I added the coral beauty a week after I first posted this and all is well.First off the flame angel went a little nuts and went after the coral beauty.I thought I was gonna have to bump one out but things cooled out and I moved some rockwork around and all is well for the most part. Now it's the CB that chases the Flame angel but with no real aggression. So I guess it's so far so good! :)

I have had a coral beauty for years now, he was first in my 20 gallon but now resides in my 90. I wanted a flame, so I bought one and put him in. Mind you that the flame was a little smaller, yeah the flame was dead in days.:( .... I tried to catch the cb a few times but he never wanders too far from the rockwork. I dunno I am going to rent the fishtrap from aqua-addicts and get rid of him and buy two pygmys and introduce them at the same time. I have heard that introducing them together is the best way.

It'll work, you just need to get the new fish through the initial week or so of aggression.

Build yourself a BIG net breeder type thing, as big as will fit in the tank, and put some chaeto, etc, in there. Put the new fish in there. They'll be able to see each other, but wont be able to get at each other. leave him in there a couple of weeks.

My coral beauty is a little bigger but not much. Sometimes it seems like they enjoy each other and other times it's minor chasing but no real aggression.

Back