Excited newbie here!!

aanold

Non-member
Started reading 3 months ago and excited to have found this forum. One it helped me find Skipton's!!

My wife is wondering why we have no fish yet, LOL. I have started picking up equipment slowly:

28 gallon Bowfront (wanted to start larger but cost is def a factor)
Remora HOB skimmer
AquaClear 70
150 watt heater
ton of the essentials (test kit, salt, hydrometer, etc.)

I been researching RO/DI so that I can save money in the long run making my own water. Bought a TDS meter and was happy to find out the water coming out of my well is 100 ppm.

What do you guys / gals think of this unit, I plan to also plumb the (just RO) line to my fridgerator for drinking water and ice:

RD106 from Filter Direct

Anyway, look forward to reading and possibly meeting some of you!!

welcome to brs
the ro in to the frig is cool but if your not making water theres non coming out and if your frig isnt needing water and your ro/di does you can burn out your DI. i thimk not 100% on that

Last edited:
I have that exact unit and it's been working great for 3 years now.
Plumbing it to the fridge is a great idea.You could also plumb it to the ice maker for crystal clear icecubes.
Reeferpj,it has a 3 gallon holding tank with a pressure bladder.So there's no issues with no water coming out.

Thanks guys. I'm gonna go ahead and order the RO/DI today!

ScottyD,

Right now I'm planning just Live Rock and a pair of clowns to get me started. My current light is the crappy stock hood with single 17 watt T8. My plan is to move to a 4x24watt T5 fixture over the next six months. Will I be fine with stock for just the live rock and fish until I upgrade?

Hey,

Yea a 4 bulb T5 will work nice on that tank!! You can use that light for the mean time but you wont be able to keep much of anything for coral until you upgrade. I would ditch your AquaClear filter its not needed and in the long run it has the potential to cause issues. What are you using for substrate?

I have that exact unit and it's been working great for 3 years now.
Plumbing it to the fridge is a great idea.You could also plumb it to the ice maker for crystal clear icecubes.
Reeferpj,it has a 3 gallon holding tank with a pressure bladder.So there's no issues with no water coming out.

Oh got ya that's and a great idea

Hey,

Yea a 4 bulb T5 will work nice on that tank!! You can use that light for the mean time but you wont be able to keep much of anything for coral until you upgrade. I would ditch your AquaClear filter its not needed and in the long run it has the potential to cause issues. What are you using for substrate?

Haven't decided on subtrate yet. Still reading about live sand mostly. What is most common or best for this setup in your opinion?

Good point on the power filter. After I ordered it I read through some tank builds where folks used it during tank cycling and then ditched it so that's probably what I'll do. Does anyone ever pull the media and then just use it for extra circulation?

:w to the club.

You can always buy sand from Marco Rocks and then seed it with a few cups of live sand from an established tank.

Add a powerhead instead of using the aquaclear for additional circulation.

4.gif

Last edited:
welcome aboard from another bowfront user!!! psssst (little secret....when you add water they get bigger!!!) JK

mine started as a 29 BF...Now it's a 155 BF!!! :)

welcome aboard from another bowfront user!!! psssst (little secret....when you add water they get bigger!!!) JK

mine started as a 29 BF...Now it's a 155 BF!!! :)

I already feel the itch for another tank and I haven't even finished setting this one up yet.

Picking out a powerhead right now and I am drawn towards the Maxi-Jet pro setups (either one or two) but even the 400 says its 500gph with the circulation attachment. Would this be too much for 28 gallons if I plan to house mainly a pair of clowns to begin with? What are you guys opinions on how many and how much flow for the 28g bowfront?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Marineland_Maxi_Jet_Pro_Powerhead_Fixed_Flow_Aquarium_Powerheads-Marineland_Instant_Ocean-AS90509-FIPHFF-vi.html

Back