Feed your fish

Paul B

paul b
BRS Member
OK I got a theory. Not a very good theory, but a theory none the less. I had an epiphany, that's an idea. I was looking at my tank last night and something hit me. I mean, after my wife hit me. I read all the time of the problems, diseases, fish dying (or going off to college) water problems, ich, things that don't eat etc. I know the solution to all these fish problems. Yes, I said it numerous times but here it is again because I just thought of it again.
I think we should forget (temporarily) the water purity problem. Parameters and all that, For a minute. Just a minute. Feed the fish, then feed them again, Feed them what they are supposed to eat. No, they are not supposed to eat pellets or flakes and if that is all you want to feed them, go and watch Oprah give away a Cadillac to a bunch of homeless catfish. Overfeed the fish or feed them a couple of times a day. Fish are not like us. We worry about losing weight and not having cellulite or those bags under our eyes. Some of us belong to the Hair Club. Well, I don't but some people do. After we feed our fish (the correct foods) so that they are spawning (or at least looking at Girly magazines) then change the water. After that, change it again. But the main thing is the fishes health through food, not water. Our fish are crying out for good food, that's why disease threads predominate these forums. If your water parameters are screwed up, change the water, but feed the fish. I personally feed clams every day (along with live blackworms) I also use whiteworms because I am not prejudice to anything. But the clams are great for the fish and corals because when you shave pieces off clams (or put them in a blender like some people do, but I don't) they exude clam juice. Clam juice is composed of tiny pieces of clams along with whatever is in clam juice. I just made a big pot of clam chowder so I know clam juice is great stuff. Corals love clam juice even corals that you didn't think were eating. If they have a mouth, they eat (or at least sing)and some of them are so tiny that clam juice is the only thing they can eat. I have been feeding my fish clams for probably fifty years so that is a lot of juice going in my tank and yes, the clam juice clouds the water a little. But to corals that is an all you can eat smorgasbord. The cloudiness dissipates in a few minutes and if you look close, you can see those little polyps grinning from ear to ear, or whatever polyp's grin to.
I think we worry to much about nitrates, phosphates and anthrax and we are starving our fish and corals. Virtually all my paired fish are spawning, even the 24 year olds and it is because of the food. I do not have to quarantine
(I don't want to argue about that so if you want to debate me about it send a self addressed envelope to my house where I will ignore it) If you need to or want to quarantine, that is up to you and none of my business what you do.
But if you want to keep your fish disease free and never want to post on a disease forum, feed your fish correctly. Lettuce is also not a fish food.
So feed the fish, and change the water. Don't skimp on food because you are worrying about parameters. (or global warming) Your fish can't read the test kits anyway. If you are more into SPS corals, don't have to many fish, but feed the ones you have correctly.
I keep pipefish, shrimpfish, mandarins, ruby red dragonettes and all sorts of things that people feel are difficult with no problems. They are all even spawning. So all of this is Just my opinion of course. If you disagree start your own thread called Paul B doesn't know a fish from an Emu.

See all those "dots" to the left of that sleepy nurse shark? (That's Harold by the way, he is a friend of mine and lives in the Caribbean) Those "dots" are fish fry, not pellets. Fish fry are like an all you can eat buffet in the sea. Those fry are all over the place. If you dive, look near the bottom of the rocks and you will see them. Almost all fish eat them (except nurse sharks) They are whole fish and nothing but fish. That is complete nutrition and all a fish needs. They also contain exactly the bacteria that our fish need to stay healthy, but more importantly they provide the correct bacteria in the correct proportions. They are hard for us to get so I recommend clams and worms as they are also whole animals and nothing else.

Here are some more.

No, fresh clams are very hard to cut into small pieces. I buy the biggest clams I can find, then partially open them and stick something in them so they can't close. Then I freeze them. Then open them and shave off paper thin slices. Once you make a dent in the meat, you can shave off pieces like you are shaving chocolate. But don't mix any clam with the chocolate as chocolate is to good and tastes lousy mixed with clams

Back