Feeding corals

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
What do we all recommend for feeding corals. I am looking for opinions on dosing the tank as a whole, as well as direct feeding, and if you give any kind of supplement products that induce coral appetite to eat prior to eating.

Depends on the coral, but I usually mix a small scoop of reef roids and reef chili in a bit of tank water. Feed this alone to smaller mouths. Or mix frozen brine/mysis into it for bigger mouth LPS. I also broadcast phyto ~nightly (Nannochloropsis and Tetraselmis), about 1 ml per gallon of home grown dense culture each.

I use home made frozen food broadcast feed all the tanks except the experimental tank for target feeding certain LPS.

I also use reefroid, gonipower, Newlife Reefcells occasionally.

I found that home made frozen food are vastly superior than any commercial frozen food in terms of long term fish and coral health. If you know how some popular frozen foods are made and their true ingredients, you may not want to pay about $40 to $80 per lb for these and feed to your tank.

The most important step to make your own frozen food is to soak the raw seafood and fish in tap water for 30 minutes and wash them throughly in the sink, as all human grade raw seafood is treated with phosphate to control bacteria growth.

All you need is raw shrimp, scallops and salmon fish, washed and blended to mush without adding any water then freeze.

I alternate between Reef Roids and Benepets when target feeding, and I add Phyto everynight. Prior to feeding, I use Acropower or Kent Coral Accel.

Back