fish dying after water changes

Take a sample of the water and have it tested...There are company's that will test for bacteria and other harmful things. I have mine tested every year because im on a well GL!!!!

Any sandbed disturbance during the changes?

only in the sump - there is a small amount of sand down there that gets stirred up when i do changes, but there's not much, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" in a couple of chambers. I don't disturb the main sand bed (1.5-2") during changes.

Last edited:
Take a sample of the water and have it tested...There are company's that will test for bacteria and other harmful things. I have mine tested every year because im on a well GL!!!!

Thanks, I'll have to look into that around here!

I live in Haverhill. I know I came across a recent water report, I'll see if I can find it.

I use RO water made from Haverhill city water with no ill effects and I change 10% roughly 1X-2X per week.

Hi everyone, wanted to give an update on my situation. I think I have narrowed down what is killing things here. I've done 3 water changes since I last posted with no casualties. Two days ago I cleaned the glass with a magnet, and hours later two more fish were dead. I had not cleaned the glass since the last incident. Typically I scrape the glass when I do water changes, and that must have been the cause.

Most of the algae on the surface looks normal, but there has been a pinkish film that has been appearing on the glass around one of my powerheads. I'm wondering if this is the culprit here. Not sure what the heck to do about it either.

Frankly I'm toying with the idea of shutting the tank down. I've been fighting aiptasia for a couple of years to no avail, it's overrunning the tank. Everything I've tried has made it worse, not better. Now I'm down to two fish, and am afraid I'm going to kill them next. 150+ lbs of rock with all types of corals that no one would want due to aiptasia... Don't even know what to do with the rock/corals if I decide to shut it down. Very frustrating. Been considering shutting it down for at least a year now, and this may be the kick in the cajones I needed.

Back