i'm dying over here, and so are my fish

Do you bring the water level above the line so the bottom curve of the meniscus touches the line? I remember this being mentioned in my bio classes.

Not that this is the right way to do it, but I been in the hobby for about 4 years. I never acclimated any of my fish and have never lost one. So I think you can def rule that out. I would def get my levels checked out by your local fish store. API really isn't some of the most accurate tests out there. Also i agree with no tangs in a 55, it's just to small of a tank. Do it for your sake and the fishes sake. Good luck! hope everything works out for you.

thanks everyone for the info! I really like this community!
I think I'm switching to a drip method from now on. I've seen all sorts of methods used and the drip seems to be the least intrusive... For the water testing, I brought my water in to a LFS and they tested the same levels that I have, so that is good news! I'm hoping it was just a fluke with the tang. While at that store I decided to purchase two damsels. It's been a few days now and they have been doing great! No signs (knock on wood) and ANY issues thus far. Time will tell.
When I fill the vials, I fill the bottom of the meniscus to the line on the vial. I researched digital monitors (bad eyes) and I'm surprised to see that the typical things to monitor (ammonia, nitrates, etc) are very pricey. Not sure why. Now to post a new thread about my PC lights!

Do you bring the water level above the line so the bottom curve of the meniscus touches the line? I remember this being mentioned in my bio classes.

I wish I were as exact as that, but so long as part of the water level is touching the line, I go with it... I figure I'm going to be trying to figure out a particular shade of something anyway, so it needn't be perfect--but .5 ml may make a significance, at least in my view.

Back