Forum moderation poll

Excluding the VE forum, what's your opinion on the level of moderation on BRS forum

• About right - troublemakers are dealt with, things are kept from spiraling out of control

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • More moderation is needed, more threads closed, more people banned or suspended

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Too strict - too many threads closed/deleted/edited

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Once every-so-often, perhaps not as regularly as we should, we run a poll on BRS forum moderation. We've made a number of modifications to the forum over the past 1-2 years. Many of the changes were made to accomodate different types of uses, or fix problems that we had. We added the Introductions forum to get new members off to the right start, added the Informal Get-togethers, the Reef Deals, WTB, and the Advanced topics forums. We've changed or refined the rules on various subforums to make the subforums easier to use, or to manage from a moderation standpoint.

As you all know, we have pretty strict posting rules in the Vendor Experiences sub forum, and many don't like that, but in my opinion it's either that or do away with the forum entirely, and delete any such threads that would end up elsewhere which I think that would be a dis-service to club members. We've also instituted the rule that members owning or working directly for local shops must disclose that information so that it can be considered when evaluating advice or recommendations, and also not allowed such members to comment upon other shops. For the moment for the purposes of this poll however, try to make your choice based solely on the moderation other sections of the forum.

Missing option

You need one more option for that poll.

Moderation is inconsistant. Sometimes banning and removing posts too frequently and sometimes not catching individuals who are being disruptive and/or giving bad advice.

I think the forum moderation is at a pretty good level. Some topics are left until they get out of hand and that is pretty rare compared to other forums I frequent.

Troublemakers are dealt with pretty quickly also IMO.

P.S.

Jennifer
, you signature is a bit disturbing in a comical way :D

Last edited:
You need one more option for that poll.

Moderation is inconsistant. Sometimes banning and removing posts too frequently and sometimes not catching individuals who are being disruptive and/or giving bad advice.
We don't moderate for giving bad advice.

If you see a disruptive post, please use the "Report post to the moderators" function to bring the post to the attention of the moderators.

Thanks.

Moderation

I voted that, in general, the moderation is fine the way it is currently. I think the mods have a tough job to do and are doing it well in general. However, I have noticed that a few members are seemingly given cart blanche and repeatedly break the forum rules whenever they want. Notice I said "seemingly" since this is only how I see it.

Please take this as constructive criticism since that is what it is intended to be. I won't go into details (please feel free to contact me via PM or email) and as I stated above in the vast majority of cases I think the moderators are doing a great job.

Moderation is inconsistant.

I think I wasn't very clear in my first post.

"Moderation is inconsistant." ...
I was suggesting that as another option for the poll. Obviously it would need to be edited as Moe pointed out. (and Moe, thanks for the advice)

I don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to say the moderators are bad people or are doing a horrible job. I just didn't think there were enough options.

"We don't moderate for giving bad advice."

Thank goodness,there would be a bunch of empty threads here if that was the case.:p

*In all honesty,I think things are fine the way they are.

Last edited:
I think the board's doing just fine. I've been bopped on the head a couple of times when I was over the line and took it where I deserved it. I even thanked a couple of them for it.

When I first joined the club I thought the boards were too heavily moderated. I was used to 'noisier' boards unrelated to reefing. Once I got used to this board I quickly realized how nice it is to have a well moderated, well managed forum. Now those other boards give me a headache when I visit them.

All in all, great job!

I think the moderation does a good job, especially in keeping up with the vendor experience and marketplace forums.

Two thumbs up guys =)

Volunteers spending a lot of their time, working pretty hard, and doing a good job at it.

I think the board's doing just fine. I've been bopped on the head a couple of times when I was over the line and took it where I deserved it. I even thanked a couple of them for it.
I agree! The people who have been working on this forum do a lot more than most people know. One of the reasons I've been a little less active here lately is because I've been a little "touchy" lately and I don't want them to have to deal with me giving someone a healthy heaping of crap even if I feel deep down inside they deserve it. If anyone thinks they aren't doing a good job then step in their shoes for a week and see what they actually do. I wouldn't want their job.

When I first joined the club I thought the boards were too heavily moderated. I was used to 'noisier' boards unrelated to reefing. Once I got used to this board I quickly realized how nice it is to have a well moderated, well managed forum. Now those other boards give me a headache when I visit them.

Couldn't agree more. Great job guys/gals.

Back