Poll on moderation of the BRS forum

Do you feel that the moderation on the BRS web forum is:

• Too restrictive. Too many threads are closed, too many posts edited or removed.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Not restrictive enough. Too many nasty, off-topic posts. Edit, warn, suspend, ban more often

Votes: 9 9.1%
  • Seems about right to me. Good flow of info. Keep up the good job. I feel all warm and fuzzy here.

Votes: 83 83.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
laughing with you. and dont forget the other possibility. sometimes the brain never catches up, get stuck in gear and difficult to see clearly or see from the other vantage point. happens to all of us. Mods help and are clearly needed.

You know, while we're on the subject. I'd like to discuss something that I find personaly offensive, OK two things.
1 The above mentioning of smillies as WalMart logo's
2 The loose, I mean flamboyant use of the word eyes. Always plural. It's just not right.

I am impressed with how symmetrical the poll results are. Basically the same number think that the forums are moderated either too much or too little. That sounds like we are moderated pretty much the ideal amount.

I think having a nickname is kind of fun. But I can certainly imagine people being more responsible if they post with their true name. Got to think about the personal consequences of this one.

I sincerely respect very much the job the moderators do. Maybe the moderators are not perfect, maybe they don't please everybody, but they are doing a great job (even unpaid!). Eventhough I am, of course, also curious about the comments that are removed, I also think that they are best kept (?) in a safe place from curious eyes. Just a personal opinion.

The forums have been a great resource, not only of good information, but also of new aquaintances, livestock and intellectual stimulation. I am glad I have the chance to be part of it. I am glad the moderators are there to make things right, when they might be going not so well.

Eyes

One Eye said:
You know, while we're on the subject. I'd like to discuss something that I find personaly offensive, OK two things.
1 The above mentioning of smillies as WalMart logo's
2 The loose, I mean flamboyant use of the word eyes. Always plural. It's just not right.

One eyes, one eyes, one eyes, one eyes....hee hee :)

ARRRRRR!!!

I hate walmart!!

ARRRRRRR!!!!

I usually punch the greeter in the gut on my way in...no-one should be THAT happy

synchiropi said:
I think having a nickname is kind of fun. But I can certainly imagine people being more responsible if they post with their true name. Got to think about the personal consequences of this one.
Be careful with the false sense of protection nicknames give you. Unless you don't want to participate in any of the monthly meetings, people will get a chance to know who is behind the nickname.

Hiding behind a screen name to behave inappropriately is not only silly, but any Internet service can be forced to disclose your identity if something you do is taken to "the next level".

(not directed to you or anyone specific, just a FYI for all)

Armando said:
Be careful with the false sense of protection nicknames give you. Unless you don't want to participate in any of the monthly meetings, people will get a chance to know who is behind the nickname.

The issue of people acting irresponsibly under the protection of a fake id in a forum like this is a real one, I agree. Yet, as with many other things, this forum is somewhat based on an honor system. We all expect people to behave like adults. Seems to me that it works pretty well!! Evenmore, when things are going bad, there is the layer of the moderators, who bring things back to order.

I think it is true that encouraging people to use their real name will make people act more responsibly. Yet, I frankly doubt that 99.5% of the forum users think about being irresponsible while picking up nicknames. Maybe I am too naive. Frankly, if somebody purposedly wanted to be evil, they could just make up a "real-looking name", since I think we have no identity validation mechanism.

Oh well looks like I am switching back to my human name.

You're right.
Anyone could be Fred Miller or Zacharius Mendochus or Benjamin W or any of a zillion names.

Back