Frustrated with LFS prices and quality

I?ll chime in a take the flames.
since when was owning a reef tank cheap?
Last I recall was NEVER.
Saltwater takes money. Plain and simple.
It really seems like more and more are getting into a hobby they can't afford.
maybe i am wrong, but I am sure people out there besides myself have invested THOUSANDS in their setup.
we all pay an enormous amount of money to run them ( i know i pay over $2,500 a year to run mine), but in the end everyone seems to whine over a few bucks. I understand getting an item cheaper online than at your LFS, but is it really THAT big of a deal to make a public issue of it every time you see a price variance? LFS are more expensive. It?s a fact. Not to mention the cost to operate a store in MA in not cheap real estate. (gotta be one of the more expensive places to operate in the country) I can tell you from experience, the LFS?s are certainly not getting rich off of running a brick and mortar.
I am amazed at how many people have the attitude the LFS is out to screw you for a few extra bucks.

Not trying to flame you here, but I do have a different opinion on the situation:

I too have spent thousands on the hobby, and in that light you are not talking about whining over a few bucks here and there, you?re talking about thousands of dollars going to the purchase price variance at a LFS. It seems an unreasonable position to just concede that it is an expensive hobby and hand over a blank check. You maybe correct that there are more people in the hobby that cannot afford to setup and run a marine tank under the ?if you have to ask, you can?t afford it? mindset, but I would rather see them involved and making good consumer decisions for the hobby. The people who set up group buys, and pooled orders are picking up 30 to 50% increases in their ?hobby budget?, and good for them!

I have never read one of these threads where it seemed anyone was upset about spending a premium at a store where the selection was good, the staff was service professionals, the place was clean and the LFS added value to the product in one way or another. I do recall a thread where there must have been 50 viable options suggested by customers to improve the value offered by LFSs. I don?t think I heard of one of them implemented at a local LFS.

We are the vanguard for the future of the industry. The stores better adapt to e-commerce or they will perish, and that will be a shame. To complain that someone is educated on the current market price of an item and to call them cheap when they question a 40 point markup shows the stores themselves cannot justify it.

Do you have a personal vendetta against LFS? If you do please keep them to yourself. No need to dump on all the LFS in the universe.

He's not griping. He's stating the truth.

Plenty of times Ray, Scott, Marc, etc have come in and said that the BRS is not even a large part of their business. Seeing as, IMO, most of the Reefers who have done any amount of research are member/know of us, that makes it pretty clear that they ARE relying on those who dont know the score.

He's not griping. He's stating the truth.

Plenty of times Ray, Scott, Marc, etc have come in and said that the BRS is not even a large part of their business. Seeing as, IMO, most of the Reefers who have done any amount of research are member/know of us, that makes it pretty clear that they ARE relying on those who dont know the score.

I don't think all LFS are out to rip the newbie off. I do belive some are better the others. That general statment he made is toward all LFS and thats just not true.
What is true is everyone in business is out to make money and all comsumers are out to save as much as possible.

a lfs is a business that has a lot of cost just to keep the doors open for the costumers. no one is disagreeing that some things are cheaper online. thats life, if you shop around you will always find something cheaper somewhere else. however those great deals are not always so great when you factor in the shipping cost ( which a lfs HAS to pay for all there stock, and dont think that the more they order the cheaper it is because that is not the case from wholesalers ) waiting list, and not knowing if it is healthy and eating. i have said before that i use both means of shopping and will continue to do so because that way it covers all sides of my ADDICTION :)

Last I recall was NEVER.
maybe i am wrong, but I am sure people out there besides myself have invested THOUSANDS in their setup.
we all pay an enormous amount of money to run them ( i know i pay over $2,500 a year to run mine), but in the end everyone seems to whine over a few bucks. I understand getting an item cheaper online than at your LFS, but is it really THAT big of a deal to make a public issue of it every time you see a price variance? LFS are more expensive. It?s a fact. Not to mention the cost to operate a store in MA in not cheap real estate. (gotta be one of the more expensive places to operate in the country) I can tell you from experience, the LFS?s are certainly not getting rich off of running a brick and mortar.
I am amazed at how many people have the attitude the LFS is out to screw you for a few extra bucks.
Scott, I for one, disagree that because the hobby is expensive, we should ignore the fact that LFS are charging HUGE markups. If anything, because the hobby is expensive, we should be looking for good ways to spend money.

Just because I spend thousands of dollars, doesnt mean I should be willing to chuck money down the drain.

I don't think all LFS are out to rip the newbie off. I do belive some are better the others. That general statment he made is toward all LFS and thats just not true.
What is true is everyone in business is out to make money and all comsumers are out to save as much as possible.

Yes, it is. Even the sponsors, who do less of it than anyone else, have said repeatedly that the majority of their sales come from people who quickly leave the hobby.

Those of us who stay in the hobby are only a small part of their sales. The majority comes from people who are only in it a couple months. They need to make money while they can.

Yes, it is. Even the sponsors, who do less of it than anyone else, have said repeatedly that the majority of their sales come from people who quickly leave the hobby.

Those of us who stay in the hobby are only a small part of their sales. The majority comes from people who are only in it a couple months. They need to make money while they can.

So is that wrong to make a living?

Chris brought up a few points I did connect until I read his post, Just like a LFS the online places, pay rent, have lights, employees, workers comp, hold insurance, pay taxes, cover the cost of stay alive guarantees and right down the line. They also have to have shipping people, pick packers, call centers, software, catalogs, huge backup inventories for the catalog items; huge accounting departments (try selling to 50 states then not collecting taxes).

Running a catalog business is not a free ride.

Nothing is wrong with them making a living.

My point is that they dont gear their business towards the people who stay in the hobby.

I'm fine with an LFS charging more, they just have to give me more. (guarantees on fish..c'mon here)

the stories of pitting LFSs against online suppliers over a few cents a clownfish.

Matt:cool:

I think you must live in a different world because you think $70 difference for each clownfish is a few cents to you. Also, guess who started the debate of LFS vs online? It is you, sir.

Last I recall was NEVER.

This statement strikes me as a little offensive. The question here isn't whether you can afford it or not. It's whether it's worth it to buy from an LFS. You could very easily turn this statement around and apply it to an LFS. If you aren't smart enough to find a way to do business at affordable prices get out of business. I think most people that have chimed up have said that they are willing to pay higher prices if they feel they are getting something for their money. IE Service. Sounds like what your saying is that the people should shut up and pay more even though there are better options available because they should have enough money to do that? Most people who have a lot of money got that way because they did the exact opposite of what your saying. They became educated consumers

I think you must live in a different world because you think $70 difference for each clownfish is a few cents to you. Also, guess who started the debate of LFS vs online? It is you, sir.
Dong,

This thread was started by Reefdweller.

This debate has been going on long before I added my opinion.

P.S.: Dong, I think you're confusing my hyperbole with a different clownfish incident.

This is an interesting point. It would seem to stay a Reefer long-term requires two things: husbandry/equipment knowledge, and tempering expenses over the long term.

I remember back during the stem-cell bill debate a TV anchor famously told viewers to read up on the subject because it was too complicated for TV. I'd have to say being a sucessful reefer is too complicated to learn at the LFS. Sure, an experienced reefer can depend on select LFS persons for specific questions, but most of us here have learned from our own online research/RC/clubs/magazines. Just look at the amount of proven useless drygoods in many LFS's that most BRS members wouldn't touch...though many LFS are getting better in this area.

You know, I was just thinking. How come drygood manufacturers (freshwater or marine) don't provide/publish MSRPs for their products?

Perhaps the dealers (LFS or Online) are seeing wildly different prices wholesale themselves?

Maybe goughing is going on at many different levels in the supply chain?

I want to make it clear that I am not against all LFS but the ones that rip people off. One chained store, Pet-Supply-Plus in Burlington have very reasonable priced on dry good and they can order you anything such as filter parts, and charge a very reasonable (close to online) price.

You know, I was just thinking. How come drygood manufacturers (freshwater or marine) don't provide/publish MSRPs for their products?

Perhaps the dealers (LFS or Online) are seeing wildly different prices wholesale themselves?

one LFS employee told me that they bought Aquaclear 50 filter for $25 from his supplier (while the same filter is available online for $19) so that justify the market up of another $20. Well, the excuse seems very lame to me.

Matt, the whole problem is that Dong's statement wasnt hyperbole.
Rich, I would disagree completely.

Of all the items carried by a LFS, fish in particular are priced the most competitively.

I have found that the reputable LFSs all sell fish for about the same prices, and these prices are often very competitive with online suppliers.

Fish are the hardest item to blast a LFS over,

Very much so.
often i see large online vendors running specials/charging less than wholesale cost on items.
small local shops just can't compete and this happens EVERY DAY.

Back