Getting rid of flat worms

cstmpprl

Non-member
I'm setting up an 80 gal tank for the seahorses. I have a while for it to cycle; I want to use most of the rock and corals from the 30 gal. But I have flat worms in the 30. I've used (can't find the bottle now Got it from the LF, said it was what they use and works great). Well I have treated the tank 3 different times, and after a week or so, still have a zillion flatworms. What would be the best way to make sure I don’t bring these into the new tank? I don’t want to kill off the rock, but will if I have to.

hrmm

i have to think that you're not doing something right if you have treated the tank3 different times and still have flatworms....

first of all if you have ALOT of flatworms then you need to remove the sea horses before you do any further treatment....large die offs of flat worms will poison the tank and kill the sea horses. Excess fw exit i have to think cannot be good for the sea horses so take them out...if not i know there are a few people around BRS that should be able to give you a holding tank for a few days...there are nice people here :D

secondly...if you don't have it already the product that you need to buy is called "flatworm exit". After you have the product you need to take out 1 gallon of water in a water jug from your tank...then...take 1 flatworm from your tank and put it in the gallon....add the suggested dose on the flat worm exit box for 1 gallon and see if the flatworm dies....if not add another drop...wait and see if it dies...then another....till it dies. After it dies you know your dose per gallon on how much you should be putting in your tank for an amount that will kill the flatworms....do that.

After your done you have to clean your water with carbon and water changes...but while doing the flatworm treatment i would remove any carbon so it doesn't suck up the flatworm exit and render it useless.

yaaaa....

that sounds cool but i'm not sure i would depend on that to be 100% effective...as much as i dont' like chemicals as much as the next guy its really the only way to be 100%. The shrimp method is like getting peppermint shrimp to get rid of aptasia or getting a dragon face pipefish to get rid of red bugs...not 100%..

Back