Getting rid of Xenia, and moving an anemone

Clown

Non-member
I bought a frag of Xenia and it took over my tank. I pull them out, but the 'base' seems to remain, is difficult to move and grows right back. Any tips on getting rid of Xenia?

My anemone, after being content for over a year decided to take a field trip and park itself right over some glued-down frag plugs, which now seem to be dying as a result. Is there a way to convince it to move without harming it?

cut off as much as you can, and cover the rock with some of this:

635253_front200.jpg

that should take care of it.

Shading the light on the nem should make him move.....that or aim a PH at him. If he moved once you should only need to make him uncomfortable and he should move again.

if worst comes to worst manually remove the nem. be very very gentle and massage its foot till it lets go

After trying all the standard advice to no avail ( point a power head at the base of the anemone, rub the base with an ice cube etc. ) I discovered an easy method that has worked for me with minimal disturbance to the anemone.

If you have an anemone attached to rock in the aquarium and the rock is too big to remove from the tank or you don't want to remove the rock try this:

Take a short piece of PVC ( 3-4 ") or a PVC elbow large enough to encircle the base of the anemone. It helps to get the anemone to shrink up before you put the PVC around it. If necessary hold the PVC in place with a rock. The open end of the PVC should be pointed toward a light source as much as possible .
The anemone will move up the PVC in an attempt to get to the light. Once it detaches from the rock you can lift the PVC and move the anemone anywhere you want or out of the aquarium . Depending on the anemone they will move in a matter of hours or a day.

I considered selling pattented Anemone removal devices for $39.95 + S&H but I decided to share this info for the good of mankind ( or anemonekind )

The nem should come off fairy easily peal it with ur fingernail

I use a credit card or similar device.. (i actually have a pot scraper I use).. just go real slow. I typically will remove the rock from the tank and the hold it with the anemone in a tub of tank water and start at one side and slowly pick the foot off the rock.

After trying all the standard advice to no avail ( point a power head at the base of the anemone, rub the base with an ice cube etc. ) I discovered an easy method that has worked for me with minimal disturbance to the anemone.

If you have an anemone attached to rock in the aquarium and the rock is too big to remove from the tank or you don't want to remove the rock try this:

Take a short piece of PVC ( 3-4 ") or a PVC elbow large enough to encircle the base of the anemone. It helps to get the anemone to shrink up before you put the PVC around it. If necessary hold the PVC in place with a rock. The open end of the PVC should be pointed toward a light source as much as possible .
The anemone will move up the PVC in an attempt to get to the light. Once it detaches from the rock you can lift the PVC and move the anemone anywhere you want or out of the aquarium . Depending on the anemone they will move in a matter of hours or a day.

I considered selling pattented Anemone removal devices for $39.95 + S&H but I decided to share this info for the good of mankind ( or anemonekind )

What a great idea. Patent that.

Back