Green, Cloudy Water

The solution to pollution is dilution. Water change, water change, water change. Your tank is to new turn off the lights, water change, let the tank cycle, as if it were day one. Be patient, don't add anything for a few weeks- I know it's tempting but your rock wasn't cured right and you used dry sand. Get a few Pieces of live seeded rock, maybe some live sand. The carbon,GFO,UV will help but to much green water, o did I metion I think you should do a water change like half the volume.

Yes, but green water blooms don't act like other nuisance algae. All good advice ^ , but for the green water itself you're not likely to starve it out.

Yes, but green water blooms don't act like other nuisance algae. All good advice ^ , but for the green water itself you're not likely to starve it out.

Agree 100%
Remember when I had a green water bloom? Water changes only work for a short period of time.
If you were feeding any type of phyto,STOP immediately.

You have "green water" commonly described as a dense bloom of free-floating single-cell algae.
The best way to get rid of that green water is with a UV sterilizer.
If you can borrow one from a fellow member,do it.
I have a small one that I got from a fellow reefer that left the hobby.

Also check your salinity.
You basically have the green water going on that hobbyist make to feed rotifiers.

Uv sterilizer is in transit. Should be arriving tomorrow. Will get it installed over thanksgiving weekend. I installed a carbon and GFO reactor today, but without the valve for it, it's useless. Can't find one local so I am going to order one and hope it shows up rather quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, no food has been in the tank in over a month. The snails are eating the algae and that's it

Be careful as the bloom can hide fish that are in distress.
I lost a LM blenny during the bloom I encountered.

The UV sterilizer will begin to clear the water with in a couple hours.
Keep using it long after the bloom appears to be gone.

Also, watch out with carbon.
I have seen it do more damage in some instances than help fix things.
Used it heavy once and had all my large fish develop HLLE immediately.

No fish in the tank. My clown is due back into the tank on 12/12. (Fallow period ending, ich breakout)

No fish in the tank. My clown is due back into the tank on 12/12. (Fallow period ending, ich breakout)

Got it,
Good luck getting things back on track.
When I had my algae bloom it was in a hospital tank running hypo salinity.

Got it,
Good luck getting things back on track.
When I had my algae bloom it was in a hospital tank running hypo salinity.

Thanks. Hoping to get the new sump built, a large water change done, and all the new equipment up and running by the end of the thanksgiving weekend. Then hopefully ride that out a few weeks and put the clown back in. Fingers crossed.

Back up and running. Water isn't much clearer, yet. Built a new sump this weekend and added a UV sterilizer and carbon/GFO reactor. Total water change was about 35 gallons. Also added DI to my RO unit and replaced the sediment canister. Water coming out reads 0. I will give it a couple days and do another water change. I've got to clean the QT and dilute some of the cupramine in there.

Do you have the flow through the UV dialed to the mfg recommendation or slower?

They said 100-200gph. I've got a 295gph pump dialed down, for the proper flow of the GFO. The sterilizer is in between the reactor and pump.

I just went through the same thing on my sons tank. Green water. Hooked up an old sun sun canister with carbon and a uv light. Cleared it up in 24 hours. In 4 more days I'll take it offline.

They said 100-200gph. I've got a 295gph pump dialed down, for the proper flow of the GFO. The sterilizer is in between the reactor and pump.

Sounds good. Just don't exceed the flow rating.

How long have you had the UV online? If the green water doesn't seem to be clearing up in a few days you might want to try slowing the flow to get a higher Uv exposure. (Usually green water responds pretty quickly...)

It's been running for a few hours as of right now. I am seeing what looks like results, however, I did just do a water change.

12 hours in, and I can start to make out what's halfway back in the tank. I haven't seen anything past a few inches for weeks!!

Back