Green, Cloudy Water

water changes is one of the most easiest ways to correct most marine home aquarium issues. just saying
if i were you, i probably would try a few large water changes and run active carbon at the same time.

I've done a 35 gallon change yesterday, while adding carbon, GFO, and UV. The water is already progressing in a forward direction. Will do another water change in a few days to wrap it up, but that's about it. Unlike most hobbyists, I do not have room to store hundreds of gallons (or even 5 gallons) of premade water. For me to do a 20 gallon water change takes 3 days. I have a couple buckets I keep stacked out on my porch and I make my water when needed. There was buckets all over my house this week trying to get this done. I'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, and work 75 hours a week. There's no room and no time to be constantly making 30-40 gallons for water changes. I don't have the room for the fancy equipment like holding tanks and ATO's. When I need to top off, I stay up late at night and make a 5 gallon bucket. It sucks. I'm trying to set the tank up to be more self sufficient as time goes. I've seen some excellent tanks that don't get water changes, just regular top offs. That's where I want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448739424.892998.jpg

Just got home from work to find this. 24 hours ago this was green as sin. Looks like I am well on my way.

and since you dont have any corals yet. turning off the light completely (until water condition is fixed)
will help

my other suggestions for you is, you dont want to stack the rock against the side of the tank like that. Do it against the back. you will have a hard time cleaning the side with the rocks getting in the way like that. check out some other member's tanks for ideas.

Last edited:
Just keep that UV sterilizer going and you'll be fine.
I wouldn't even bother that much with water changes.

and since you dont have any corals yet. turning off the light completely (until water condition is fixed)
will help

my other suggestions for you is, you dont want to stack the rock against the side of the tank like that. Do it against the back. you will have a hard time cleaning the side with the rocks getting in the way like that. check out some other member's tanks for ideas.

I've noticed that about cleaning the sides, but I love the way it looks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448740296.665018.jpg

Especially this cave system

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448817922.989558.jpg

Still can't see end to end, BUT I'm not even the slightest bit concerned. After what I've seen happen in the last 24 hours, I'm just going to sit back and wait.

wow, what a turn around

That's what I said. I'm pretty stoked.

Now it's time to figure out what I need to be doing to groom the sand, seed/promote rock life, kickstart the fuge/pods, and put in some fish.

Tomorrow 11/30, makes exactly 12 weeks the tank has been running.

Yes. Tank is looking AMAZING. I'm actually excited about it again. It's been a while. Here are the most recent pics taken Monday 12/1

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449286377.952205.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449286388.867031.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1449286397.251957.jpg

I moved a couple more rocks down to the sump. I am going tomorrow (12/5) to pick up some more nice live rock and some corals. I am also planning on grabbing a baggie of chaeto to get that process started. I have ordered a better light for the redugium as well.

I've done a 35 gallon change yesterday, while adding carbon, GFO, and UV. The water is already progressing in a forward direction. Will do another water change in a few days to wrap it up, but that's about it. Unlike most hobbyists, I do not have room to store hundreds of gallons (or even 5 gallons) of premade water. For me to do a 20 gallon water change takes 3 days. I have a couple buckets I keep stacked out on my porch and I make my water when needed. There was buckets all over my house this week trying to get this done. I'm on the 3rd floor of an apartment building, and work 75 hours a week. There's no room and no time to be constantly making 30-40 gallons for water changes. I don't have the room for the fancy equipment like holding tanks and ATO's. When I need to top off, I stay up late at night and make a 5 gallon bucket. It sucks. I'm trying to set the tank up to be more self sufficient as time goes. I've seen some excellent tanks that don't get water changes, just regular top offs. That's where I want to be.

Is that a typo or you are doing the top off of evaporated water with salt water ?

That is,what I read in your posting....." When I need to top off, I stay up late at night and make a 5 gallon bucket "....or you meant " RODI" .

Last edited:
I top off with plain RODI water, but always check my salinity prior to adding the water. As of right now my tank is using just under 5 gallons in a week. I added salt to the top off the other day, as I was a little light on the salinity. It's up to where it should be so my next top off will be straight water.

Back