Hair Algae/Phosphate Question

I don't have a reactor. Phosban can be added directly to the tank, can it not?

I'm trying to keep my setup fairly simple (plus, I've got jack for $$), so I don't want to buy any extra equipment.

Thanks for the ideas and comments. KEEP'M COMIN!

I think you have to have decent flow going through the Phosban. Maybe in a filter sock on your overflow, but I think if you just throw a bag of it in the tank then it won't do much.

I could be wrong.

I think you have to have decent flow going through the Phosban. Maybe in a filter sock on your overflow, but I think if you just throw a bag of it in the tank then it won't do much.

I could be wrong.

Blueflu, I just edited my post. Phosban can't be used without a reactor, so I don't think it will be any good either. Looking for a phosphate reducer that can be added directly into the tank.

I have a HOB CPR fuge and use this in it where the water flows down. I have not had any phosphate troubles since. I use this product to control, not remove high levels of phosphate.

I'm a big believer in if at all possible, removing the algae with a brush and doing regular water changes.

I had a huge bryopsis and hair algae problem that lasted months. This is what I did over those 4-6 months; begin using gfo religiously, get some critters, fish that will eat it(diadema urchins, rabbitfish, turbo snails, tiger trochus snails), Possible raise your alk if it is low, skim wet, feed less, frequent water changes, and pull any hair algae and bryopsis I could see daily. Leaving the lights off for a 2 days every month can help get an upper hand on it. The snails won't eat it unless it's you "mow" it down frequently. Rabbitfish get large quick, as do the diadema urchins. Sea Hares have never done much for me besides getting stuck in a powerhead, which would be really bad in a smaller set up. I've tried all shapes and sizes. The urchin will most likely turn to some type of coral when the algae is gone. Hope this info helps, it can get down right depressing to look at day after day. LMK if you go the rabbitfish route. I have a scribble and an orange spot. Someone is taking one, just not sure which one yet. The two of them completely cleaned my hair algae infested 210, along with an urchin or 2.

EDIT; I just read your sig, scratch the rabbitfish and urchin remarks.

I just came home and saw my emerald crab alive and well, picking at the rocks, so not all hope is lost for him.

And I also noticed a path of clean rock where I had placed my Mexican Turbo this afternoon, so he seems to be doing a good job. I might pick up a few more medium sized ones tomorrow after work to throw in there to keep the algae in check until things balance out and the underlying problem is solved.

Still looking into some type of phosphate remover that I can put directly into my tank.

Theone, I don't think I'd be able to use that product because I don't have any "high flow" place to put it where water would pass through. Thanks for the idea though!

Reefermedic, the GFO needs a reactor, correct?

it can't go directly into the fish tank... goes in filter, but PhosGuard seems to work very well and does not leek phosphates back into the water if left in to long

I do have carbon in my sump, however carbon is most effective when water is NOT forced through it.

There was a GREAT article in Aquarium Fish Monthly a few months back on types of filtration and the most efficient ways to use it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Eastwind Providence - 3" Hanging Reactor
AEPLO3CR.JPG

* Perfect for use as a Biological, CO2, Carbon, Calcium, Nitrate, or Phosphate reactor.
* May be used with granulated substrate or foam based pads.
* Comes complete with:
* 12? high x 3” diameter hanging Reactor (Maximum recommended flow rate 50gph)
* Secure, easy fastening Lid
* Lid mounted complete Intake Elbow assembly with dual 5/8? and ¾? barb
* Lid mounted deluxe swivel duckbill Return Elbow assembly
* Sturdy Hanging bracket
* Bottom mounted multi-positional Leveling Device
* Two plastic diffusion Retainer Screens
* Two reticulated 3? x ½? Foam Retainer Discs
* The Reactors are made of all hi-impact clear acrylic with color ABS brackets and screens and polypropylene fittings.
* Reactors come individually packaged in white corrugated boxes with a UPC sticker on the box.

Just grabbed some Phos-Buster Pro by Carib Sea from work, going to try that and a few more snails tonight.

The snail I have in there has just kind of been sitting there since last night, I think he might be on his way out.

I have brought lights down to 4:30-9:30 PM. The part for my skimmer came in today. The skimmer seems to be running correctly now.

I dosed my tank with Phos-Buster Pro last night at around 8:30. Waited until now to test, and looks like my phosphates are down to undetectible amounts.

Hopefully this will get things under control.

This may seem rather obvious, but it just worked for us to I figure I'd let you know... we had a slight hair algae problem... went in to SCA and talked to John, and he recommended the turbo snails he had. These things weren't normal turbos, they were HUGE. I mean, like, HUGE. We got 4 of them, stuck them in, and within half an hour, there were little clean trails all over the rock and glass where they had eaten it all clean. Might be worth a shot to get one? I was amazed at how fast they ate it... these things had mouths the size of a marble O_O

I've got 4 mexican turbos in there. They're medium sized, and doing an alright job and keeping it from getting worse.

I don't want to get anything huge because it's such a small tank, and the big ones tend to knock small frags and rocks over.

But thank you, I really appreciate the input! :)

Back