Hello from Charlton, MA

MrX

Non-member
Hi All,

Seriously thinking about taking the plunge into a saltwater setup and came across this site. I've been debating getting into the hobby for years but never followed through.

I've done a lot of research, read a lot of the posts here and on other sites, but still have some questions.

Ideally I'd like a mix of corals/fish/inverts.

1) I'm debating whether to go with the new Red Sea Max S-series or just piecemeal my own system together. I know the latter will probably be cheaper, but the Red Sea looks sweet, has the newb in mind, but offers enough flexibility to change things around if needed/wanted. Anyone here have any experience with the other Red Sea models or other all-in-one type setups?

2) If I go piecemeal I'm thinking a 125-180gal tank. The LFS has suggested Aqueon. Should I spend the extra money and go with Miracles or Coast to Coast? What are peoples experience with Starphire? Is it worth the money?

3) How about a stand? I see most manufacturers lower or remove the warranty if you don't use their stand. I hate the look of most of the pine stands. I'd attempt to build my own if it didn't negatively affect the warranty. I saw the threads with the stands Calciumbuf (Jim) built and they are much nicer. Ideally I'd like something cleaner/more modern looking to appease MrsX.

4) How concerned should I be with going away for a weekend or week? I know there are issues with evaporation, feeding, powerloss, etc. and with mo' money most can be addressed. Once a tank is stable and barring any unforeseen problems should I really worry about this?

5) Am I crazy? (Wife would say 'most definitely). I don't want to start too small and then have to upgrade if I decide I really like it. But if I shell out for the bigger stuff and absolutely hate it... well, you know.

Anyhow, just taking my time, thinking everything through, and making sure I know what I'm getting into. Would love to talk/chat with some of the members that are local to me and get their input.

Thanks all! Happy Reefing.

MrX (Daniel)

Last edited:
Hello Daniel,

I'm just one town away from you.I grew up in Charlton before my parents moved when I was a child.

5) Am I crazy?

I think we all asked ourselves this question when we started this hobby.lol

Welcome from your neighbor in Leicester :)

1.) Don't have any experience with the Red Sea all-in-ones. I've always built my own setups from the ground up. It's more rewarding :)

2.) I have an Oceanic with a starphire front. Honestly? I can't tell the difference. I just bought it because I got it brand new for $125.

3.) If you want to make your own stand and feel like you can build something you're confident about... Go for it! I built my own stand for the same reasons as you... Hate the pre-fab ones.

4.) Going away for a weekend with the use of an auto-feeder wouldn't hugely concern me, but for a week, I'd find a friend that knows fish or someone you can "train" to take care of the tank.

5.) We're all crazy...
Kidding... Kind of :p in all honesty, if you've got the money to go big, do it. It's easier for a newbie to maintain a bigger tank than it is a smaller one. The smaller the tank, the harder it can be to keep stable.

Welcome from Spencer.............Anytime you want to swing through and check out my set-up feel free for ideas and inspiration.

Thanks for the warm welcome all!

Mike (mnavick) I might just take you up on your offer. :eek:)

I've noticed a couple setups for sale on CL that are "up and running". How does one go about relocating a system like that? Empty everything from the current location into buckets until you can move the tank, move it all, and put it all back?

Anything in particular to watch out for buying used? Other than the obvious "buyer beware", faulty equipment, etc.

Thanks.

MrX

Used is a great way to help along getting into this hobby. Just make sure it is quality equipment, but even then anything is prone to breaking.
Everything into buckets is how I moved my original setup from Worcester to Spencer along with upgrading, just try not to disturb the sandbed as best as possible. You may have a short cycle but keep testing your parameters frequently. Also watch out for "pests" or hair algae tanks, dont want to start off already having to battle with something.

Been looking around (here and elsewhere) at tanks, complete setups, etc. I'm leaning towards something with dimensions like 48x36x12, starphire on the front and sides. Have a few more questions about this tank layout:

1) I got a quote from Miracles, very prompt and professional so far, and they mentioned tempered glass for the bottom? (Whole tank is 1/2" btw). From what I've read so far it seems like people stay away from tempered glass. Opinions? All I can picture is coming home to the house in NC one day and finding our tempered porch table had exploded into a million pieces all over the place. When I asked about that they stated they could swap it out for 5/8" plate.

2) With a tank of the dimensions above I was thinking the overflow centered on the back wall, with two returns also on the back wall. One on each side of the overflow. Opinions on this layout?

3) I've seen tanks with overflow boxes and others with what looked like overflow pipes sticking out from the back wall. Straight piping out from the back, ending in a curve pointing upwards. Is one setup better than the other?

4) With a tank like this it would look strange with any kind of hood. Am I going to have (crazy) issues with evaporation?

5) How worried should I be about jumpers? Are tangs, clownfish, etc. known to be particularly suicidal? ;o)

All feedback and opinions greatly appreciated.

The 48x36 part of the dimensions is an awesome footprint can do a lot with it, but 12" height might be a bit too short 48x36x21 or 24 would be much easier to view. Peopl stay away from tempered cause you cant drill it and if you chip it the structural integrity is done. Just for some more overflow ideas take a look at the bean overflow over on reefcentral.com. As for jumpers Jeremy down at cra has this netting and frames that work great and still let tons of light through. For the starfire it is a noticable in color it is just low iron glass so you don't get the green hugh that you get with regular glass. The thicker the glass the more green it looks(with regular glass)

The 48x36 part of the dimensions is an awesome footprint can do a lot with it, but 12" height might be a bit too short 48x36x21 or 24 would be much easier to view. Peopl stay away from tempered cause you cant drill it and if you chip it the structural integrity is done. Just for some more overflow ideas take a look at the bean overflow over on reefcentral.com. As for jumpers Jeremy down at cra has this netting and frames that work great and still let tons of light through. For the starfire it is a noticable in color it is just low iron glass so you don't get the green hugh that you get with regular glass. The thicker the glass the more green it looks(with regular glass)

Thanks Jango, appreciate the feedback.

I got a quote back from Miracles so I have an idea what the custom tank/stand would cost. I got an updated price with 5/8" regular bottom (not tempered), everything else is 1/2", front and sides with starfire.

I'm waiting on my buddy to see if they have or can get 1/2 and 5/8 at his shop (see my DIY thread). If so I may consider building my own as it would be much cheaper.

:w to the BRS!

Definetly make sure you start a build thread if you decide to build a tank. Been a while since I've seen a tank built from the ground up.

Hi All,

Seriously thinking about taking the plunge into a saltwater setup and came across this site. I've been debating getting into the hobby for years but never followed through.

I've done a lot of research, read a lot of the posts here and on other sites, but still have some questions.

Ideally I'd like a mix of corals/fish/inverts.

1) I'm debating whether to go with the new Red Sea Max S-series or just piecemeal my own system together. I know the latter will probably be cheaper, but the Red Sea looks sweet, has the newb in mind, but offers enough flexibility to change things around if needed/wanted. Anyone here have any experience with the other Red Sea models or other all-in-one type setups?

2) If I go piecemeal I'm thinking a 125-180gal tank. The LFS has suggested Aqueon. Should I spend the extra money and go with Miracles or Coast to Coast? What are peoples experience with Starphire? Is it worth the money?

3) How about a stand? I see most manufacturers lower or remove the warranty if you don't use their stand. I hate the look of most of the pine stands. I'd attempt to build my own if it didn't negatively affect the warranty. I saw the threads with the stands Calciumbuf (Jim) built and they are much nicer. Ideally I'd like something cleaner/more modern looking to appease MrsX.

4) How concerned should I be with going away for a weekend or week? I know there are issues with evaporation, feeding, powerloss, etc. and with mo' money most can be addressed. Once a tank is stable and barring any unforeseen problems should I really worry about this?

5) Am I crazy? (Wife would say 'most definitely). I don't want to start too small and then have to upgrade if I decide I really like it. But if I shell out for the bigger stuff and absolutely hate it... well, you know.

Anyhow, just taking my time, thinking everything through, and making sure I know what I'm getting into. Would love to talk/chat with some of the members that are local to me and get their input.

Thanks all! Happy Reefing.

MrX (Daniel)

Hey Daniel, lots of questions....Wow....Do take ur time & set it up slow...If u want to go big.. u have to factor in the energy cost as well....U can pretty much automate everything & monitor it if u plan on taking weekends away...(I take off sometimes for 5 days straight without a hitch.....) I have a 155 bowfront...

good luck...take ur time...ask alot of questions but don't beleiveeverything u hear right out of the gate!!!

I like to say....proof is in the pudding...if advice sounds decent...ask to see pics!!!
U can use a good judgement from that!!!

B

Thanks B. I've been reading and researching like crazy. One day I'm ready to buy and the next I'm not so sure again. :)

My latest quandry is water changes and septic systems. Seems like the jury is out on this issue...

I'd love to build something from the ground up but at the same time I really like the look of the Red Sea Max S setups (the price, not so much.)

Not sure what I'm going to do.

Back