Help - picasso trigger's stomach VERY bloated!

nickyblase

Non-member
I have a hunch that he overate, but not sure. I chopped up a few pieces of uncooked scallop yesterday morning, and last night his stomach (well, it's probably more like his intestines) looks REALLY bloated. The underpart of his belly that is right near his anus is sticking down really far.

Not to be gross, but it looks like he needs to take a really big poo.

He usually is right out in front, and swims all around. He's hiding behind the rocks now - has been all day. I saw his eyes move, so I know he's still alive. I'm nervous though, and don't know what I can do for him.

He hasn't got ick, no new tank mates for the last 4 months or so, and my params have been very stable -

temp 78
amm, trite 0
trate 5
ph 8.2

The other fish look fine, but have been hiding back closer to the rocks a little today too - almost like they know he's ailing. It's funny - it's like he's the leader who keeps the tank together. When he's out, they're out. When he's in back of the rocks, they don't come out as much.

Is there anything I can do for him? I hesitate to try to pull him out and put into QT - it would prob. stress him out too much.

I'd just wait and watch at this point. He's probably just full. I've seen triggers with a golf ball-sized distended belly after eating a dead clam at Aqua Addicts.

He will be fine. They do not know when to stop eating. There under belly then extends just give him a day.

I have a 7" clown trigger and a 4" picasso trigger. When I feed them fresh shellfish the always push out the other fish and eat way too much. At first they conerned me too, that's the way triggers are. He will be fine.

I hope that's the problem - thanks for the replies. His eyes moved, and wasn't breathing laboredly (is that a word?).

I will have to wait until tonight to see how he did - I leave before lights on, and it's still too dark outside for him to do much moving around anyway.

I'll keep you posted.

Back